• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Disassembling a Model M Spacesaver.. How?

Raven

Veteran Member
I was using my 486 tonight, loading some ROMs for use with Nesticle.. anyway, I observed an earwig bug crawling up the side of my keyboard. Irritated, I reached for the beastie and it skittered under the keys. At this point I was horrified - I didn't want this in my beloved keyboard. I took the keyboard and began prying keys off, but even after every key was gone, it seems the bug had gone somewhere deeper. I tried to disassemble the rest, but can't seem to find a tool for the two big screws in the back on the bottom. Can someone verify that that's what I need to unscrew to get this disassembled? I think it's due for a thorough cleaning, anyway, since it's from the 80s and judging by the brown dust I think it hasn't been cleaned since new (works though, ofc..).

Edit: I believe what I need is this... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSS49&P=M

So I am going to order one of these.

Last edited:
For reference (future searchers) and those here who might need this info, yes the tool linked above is correct, and the white feet in the front of the board on the bottom do NOT come off. Once you remove those screws you can pull the board into three pieces - the board itself, the lower casing, and upper casing. When putting it back together I became confused until I realized you had to wedge the board into these little plastic clips in the front of the bottom casing - so take note of that.

He was nowhere to be found, oddly. I suspect that I scared him off by shaking the keyboard incessantly and then leaving it on the floor overnight for him to escape. I did, however, find one and slay it a few days later.

"Thou hast done well in defeating the earwig - you have earned 20 experience and 3 gold." I promptly leveled up, thrilled with my accomplishment..

Anyway my Spacesaver is now quite clean and nice and back in action.

It's larger brother now sports a set of C64 emulator stickers, as well - mostly for asthetics, though I do use a C64 emulator from time to time, heh. What other Model M on the planet has a "PI" key, though? :D

Back