• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SE/30 OS installation Floppies

Frozen001

Experienced Member
I am looking for OS installation floppies for a Macintosh SE/30. Don't own another Mac so I cannot make them from the downladable files.

Don't know much about Mac's. It looks like came with System 6.0.3 from web searches, but I will really take anything that works on it.

This site:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/ruud.dingemans/html/system6.html

has a link to a self-extracting file that is supposed to create a 1.4 MB disk using only a PC. This will only work if your SE/30 supports HD floppies; many of them do but not all.

If you can boot into System 6 then you can probably make other images for later versions.

If you have a Linux system you could also follow these instructions (which are put together for a Mac OS X machine, but should work on any 'nix variant that has "dd"):

http://lowendmac.com/brierley/08pb/classic-mac-boot-floppy.html

Edit: This is a better link to various methods:

http://macfaq.org/software/macos.shtml#Q1.1.6

So it does have a hard drive? Do you need a boot disk or installation disk? DSDD disks I assume?

Yes it has a hard drive, but it is failing. I am going to replace it, and want to start with a fresh install of the OS. How can I tell what format the floppy drive is?

I made OS floppies for my Mac Classic using a PC running Windows XP and a USB floppy drive. I got a raw image, and used rawrite to write it to the disk. It boots fine in the Classic.

You can also download Stuffit Expander for PC so that you can extract the images from the .sit files, if that is the file type you have. I have original system floppies for both system 6 and 7, and if I can legally do it (can I?) I can make image files from the floppies so that you can write them back to floppies using rawrite (or similar) and a PC.

Since apple is distributing system 6.0, 7.1 and 7.5 for free, I don't think there will be any problems

I can make you some 7.1 install disks if you want. I don't have a functioning compact mac, so I couldn't test them. Just pay for shipping. If your interested, send a PM

Yes it has a hard drive, but it is failing. I am going to replace it, and want to start with a fresh install of the OS. How can I tell what format the floppy drive is?

Assuming you have an "SE/30", not a plain "SE", it's an HD drive. If it were an SE, it could be either DD or HD, see k2x4b524['s comment.

One other comment I should have made earlier: If the internal floppy is not FDHD, you can buy or borrow an external one to boot from.

Assuming you have an "SE/30", not a plain "SE", it's an HD drive. If it were an SE, it could be either DD or HD, see k2x4b524['s comment.

Unless the "SE/30" was actually upgraded from a plan SE by swapping the logic board. I believe Apple had an official program to do this. AFAIK this update didn't necessary change the floppy drive. The official upgrade also gave you a new front panel that said "SE/30".

To complicate things I have an SE that says SuperDrive on the front; apparently some SE models with the better floppy say FDHD, some say SuperDrive.

I made OS floppies for my Mac Classic using a PC running Windows XP and a USB floppy drive. I got a raw image, and used rawrite to write it to the disk. It boots fine in the Classic.

You can also download Stuffit Expander for PC so that you can extract the images from the .sit files, if that is the file type you have. I have original system floppies for both system 6 and 7, and if I can legally do it (can I?) I can make image files from the floppies so that you can write them back to floppies using rawrite (or similar) and a PC.

That would work for me.

Back