• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone use NetFlix?

southbird

Experienced Member
... because in my previous apartment, I had Comcast's whatever that cost me $150/mo, which is crazy given I only watch a little TV, typically a couple movies, generally on weekends only. (Sometimes more if the mood strikes or there's something particular I want to watch, you get the gist.)

I have a broadband connection costing $50/mo. Over-the-air TV movies are scarce and usually suck, so I miss having 100 channels with greater chance of a good one. NetFlix's $8.99/mo letting me stream movies "unlimitedly" sounds like I can get what I want for a fraction of what Comcast cost me... but of course I have to be wary of things too-good-to-be-true.

P.S. Landlord said satellite is impossible due to facing angle of the building or something so that's out... not that I've ever worked with that before and it's reported to have problems dealing with weather etc.

have a satellite tech come look and see before you rule that out, if it's set up properly you'd rarely (if ever in some cases) have it go out do to weather. When i lived in Ohio (it rains a lot there) mine would barely, if ever go out. I actually had less outages with my Dish than with my Cable Company.

satellite generally has to have a clear view of the southern sky (southeast if you're west of Texas and Southwest if you're east of TX), so depending on your location you may be able to pull it off.

Now back to Netflix, i actually cancelled my DirecTV service for the same reason (my bill was ~100/mo for HD, Standard Cable, and Showtime by the time they were done with everything), and i've not looked back, it has pretty much everything i've needed to watch and the Wii streaming is nice too.

Also if you have a High Def TV, you can always plug your computer in and use Hulu or something similar. I just ended up buying a MacMini and plugging it in below the TV (i'll save more than what that thing cost within six months) and just use it to watch Hulu and Netflix, it's also nice having a 42" computer screen as well to browse the web with.

I've got NetFlix and I'm happy with it. Be aware that they don't have that many streaming movies. The service is great in my opinion. I also have a ComCast HD package deal that includes their cable phone service and internet connection. It's rather expensive and I've got to make a decision soon about trimming back on something in my budget.

Got to have a phone, don't want to give up the high speed internet, and by the time I cut back to basic TV, I'm not going to save a whole lot. Still, somethings got to give. Budgets in the red.

Our cable TV is lousy, $16/month and not a single commercial-free movie. If not for The Weather Channel and kid's cartoons we'd probably cancel the cable TV altogether and live on NetFlix exclusively.

I've never tried the NetFlix streaming, but the mail order service are freakin' amazing. Both of the local video stores are out of business now, but neither could compare with the selection, price, or service of Netflix.

Yes, Wii support interested me too. Although I also have a computer hooked to my TV (though it's not hi-def... I'll have to get one of those someday.) But good to hear there's someone who already went down this road!

Even if you don't stream it and go with mailed disks, I still vote yes for Netflix. I still haven't set up the streaming but it looks very promising.

I have the 'one disc at a time, unlimited per month' plan; mostly for streaming. Between that, Hulu, and a good HD-capable antenna in a decent-size city, I don't need cable. Yeah, some shows I don't get to see until they're on Hulu or the season's disc has come out on Netflix; but it's a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

That's cool to see a few more reviews on it. I'm not sure why I've been so hesitant to try it but the same has happened. Our local (overpriced) video rental places have gone under. Given it was something stupid like over $4 for a regular rental and $6.50 for a bluray which I was pretty miffed about. Lately I've been buying movies at cheap locations but that's starting to clutter the shelves oddly enough. I've considered netflix and I'm not sure what "not a lot" means for streaming but it seemed like it had a good selection. I mean.. it had several MST3K movies for streaming (I think) and quite a few more for rental so that in itself almost sold me on it lol.

I'm reluctant to think the streaming won't be without lag. The other interesting thing to account is if you do everything perfectly you'll get a max of 8 movies a month from what I hear on the single dvd out at a time price ($9.99). Of course the cool thing is it's not subscription based so you can do it monthly, change (up the number of movies out) for next month without a hassle). I'm soon probably going to do that, I haven't decided about canceling cable yet but I do have permission from the better half. I just like a few shows on there but rarely get to watch them so perhaps my $100 a month would be best spent elsewhere.

Check out the Netflix promotion, try it for a month for free.

Our local (overpriced) video rental places have gone under. Given it was something stupid like over $4 for a regular rental...
We had two small physical rental stores, one was semi-local and the other was a large chain that specializes in ripping off small town residents. The 'local' place was only $1 but the selection was crap, movies were scratched or dirty more than half of the time, and the employees didn't know dick about movies. The chain place was no better, only their movies were $5. NETFLIX ROCKS.

The other interesting thing to account is if you do everything perfectly you'll get a max of 8 movies a month from what I hear on the single dvd out at a time price ($9.99).
That sounds about right. We live hundreds of miles from the nearest Netflix distribution center and can still get two movies per week if we watch and return right away.

Of course the cool thing is it's not subscription based so you can do it monthly, change (up the number of movies out) for next month without a hassle).
Absolutely. And you don't even have to call or talk to anyone to change your plan; there are simple web pages to configure your lists and preferences. Something that works well for me with the two-movie plan, the ability to keep two separate lists.

Back