• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anybody know source of original style IBM PC screws?

wrljet

Experienced Member
Looking for the original IBM PC style screws with the flange/washer reduced-hex heads.

Looking at the Fastenal web site, I see several that look like the McMaster part. If you have any Fastenal stores near you, that would give you a chance to see the screws in person. Fastenal calls them "Indented Hex Head Slotted Machine Screws."

Doh! There's a Fastenal store a couple a miles away and I use them a fair amount for some of my other hobbies. I never even thought to look there.

But alas, the screws I'm looking for are the smaller ones, inside the case. They have the same overall
styling as the McMaster-Carr and Fastenal screws, but with an extra long/deep hex. I've never those
exact screws in anything other than the IBM PC and AT.

FWIW, I managed to find replacements for the rear screws in my IBM AT at the local ACE Hardware store. I haven't had a need to find internal replacements yet, as I have screws that fit in there - although tbh, they're probably not original IBM parts.

I bought a pound of Compaq Torx hardware from a guy on the 'Bay. I'd love to find something like that for the IBM hardware. I'm way understocked on those blue screws in both head styles.

I think the inside screws are 6-32, rather than 8-32. I'd pay Fastenal a visit and see if you get lucky.

Searching some more online, I think the magic words are "hex washer head slotted machine screw." But I haven't found anything with a head that looks as deep as I remember the IBM screws being.

Now I'm wondering if any of the slot cover screws in my PC/AT case are original. If one is, I'll see if I can measure it with my calipers. If we have good dimensions, then we probably stand a better chance of finding a match.

In the PC, XT, and AT, the same slotted, reduced-hex, washer-head #6-32 screws are used for the slots, motherboard mounting, power supply, speaker mounting (for ones that don't snap in), some drive mountings, etc.

Right, but as I mentioned in the original post, I want the exact screws originally used by IBM.
And yes, anal-retentive is a hyphenated word. ;-)

Just how A-R are you? Enough to order 1000 of the things? If so, I'll dig into my pile of hardware catalogs and have a look.

Depends on what they cost. 100 or 250 pieces, probably. 1000, probably not.

I wouldn't bother looking. I suspect they are NLA.

Bill

Those internal 6-32 screws are definitely unusual. In my 25 yrs ME experience I never came across the identical part and so often saved them when we scrapped IBMs.

Back