• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MFM Hard Drive Recovery

neilh

Hello

I'll start this by saying i have no idea what i'm looking at !

A friend works for an engineering firm in England UK, that have a very old huge hard drive they need to get data from, they are not sure if its the hard drive or PC that has a problem, it sounds like an ancient PC, havent seen it myself.

Does anyone know anywhere that can do data recovery on such a drive.

Its a very large Magnetic Peripherals Hard Drive, PN77772579 , never seen one before but a google search suggests its MFM standard ( my knowledge of PC starts at Pentiums )

If anyone knows of somewhere in the UK that will attempt data recovery then they'd be very appreciative.
Thank you

Data recovery services cost quite a bit so the data really needs to be worth it. I've known several home users who wanted to get a non working IDE drive recovered (drive no longer is recognized by bios) and they were quoted around $1500 for their personal drive. They then decided the data was a bad loss but not worth $1500 with no guarantee of successful recovery.

We might be able to help trouble shoot though depending on the symptoms going on. If either you or your friend want to post the details of what happens, do you hear the drive spin up at all?, any other noises that occur? What does the computer do when it tries to access the drive, does the controller at least get recognized?

- John

I recommend that you consult this forum only after your friend has determined that the commercial data recovery services are too expensive and he decides that he might as well trash the drive.

I recommend that you consult this forum only after your friend has determined that the commercial data recovery services are too expensive and he decides that he might as well trash the drive.
That assumes that the hard drive is the problem. The first post contains, "they are not sure if its the hard drive or PC that has a problem". If the computer is indeed a PC, the solution may be as simple as a new battery and running of Setup.

Very true. One's assumption about another's level of familiarity with the technology may not always be justified.

My bad. :stupid:

But he did ask:

Does anyone know anywhere that can do data recovery on such a drive.

Back