• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

looking for a Socket-8 to Slot-1 converter / Riser card --> ASUS C-P6S1

Hyla

I'm new here and from Germany (BTW -> sorry for my bad English) and I hope someone can help me.

I need a Socket-8 to Slot-1 converter or riser card, especially the ASUS C-P6S1.
I own some Tyan M2020 riser cards, but my project doesn't work with the Tyan cards, so I need the ASUS P6S1.

If someone has such a card, so please reply to me.

I want to build an exotic and rare computer system with these riser cards.

Here are 2 pictures of the system with the Tyan M2020 cards:

CPU: 1x Intel Pentium II OverDrive 333 MHz @ 416 MHz on Tyan M2020 Riser Card (later 2x PIIOD on ASUS C-P6S1 I hope)
Board: ASUS P2B-D
RAM: 1GB SD-RAM PC100
Videocard: 3DFx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
Add on: 2x 3DFx Voodoo 2 12MB (SLI)
Sound: CT Vibra 16 ISA
HDD: 2x 40 GB on Promise Ultra 100 IDE controller
System: Win98 SE + Win2000

I want to build a dual system, but the Tyan M2020 doesn't work in dual mode, only single CPU is supported. I know the ASUS C-P6S1 will work. I already have one and need a second ASUS C-P6S1.

Cheers

Markus

Those Slockets weren't common and made to fill a temporary niche market. However, there does seem to be some information about converting the P2B-D to use Socket 370 Slockets. I seem to recall that the modification was fairly minor. There are still a lot of Socket 370 Slockets out there.

However, there does seem to be some information about converting the P2B-D to use Socket 370 Slockets. I seem to recall that the modification was fairly minor.

The way I modified my P2B-DS was: Plug in slotkets. Boot up machine. Done. :D
Perhaps you're thinking of the ACPI mod, where in certain configurations, the second CPU would run at a constant 50% usage until you removed an SMD resistor?

But 370 slotkets don't support the PII overdrives, which is what the OP is wanting to set up.

I can't recall the details--it may have a mod to an inexpensive Brand X slocket to get it to work in dual-CPU mode. I'd have to go back and check my notes.

I never said that a 370 slocket supported PII overdrive--my comment was directed at the rarity of the one model of Socket 8 slocket that appeared to work in this configuration and the very marginal gain in performance, compared to what could be gained with a Socket 370 slocket. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

Honestly, I think you could watch eBay for three months and never see a Socket 8 slocket offered.

What I meant was, while a S370 converter would perform better, I doubt he's really considering those to be an option. It looks like he's trying for something a bit more out-of-the-norm. (Which I think is actually an interesting project, despite its performance drawbacks.)

I actually saw one of the Tekram converters on eBay not too long ago, so they are out there. But honestly, the better option might be to try modifying the existing Tyan ones to work in dual-CPU configuration. I suspect it's probably similar to the old Celeron SMP mod.

Well, what the heck; with a couple of FPGAs and your own PCB, you could get a couple of R4400s to work as well. Now that would be a bit out of the norm!

It looks like he's trying for something a bit more out-of-the-norm. (Which I think is actually an interesting project, despite its performance drawbacks.)

Yes, your are rigth ;)

But honestly, the better option might be to try modifying the existing Tyan ones to work in dual-CPU configuration. I suspect it's probably similar to the old Celeron SMP mod.

That option sounds great, but how can I do that? I think it's difficult to do that, or?

Cheers

Markus

p.s. maybe the Tekram or Abit Socket-8 to Slot-1 converter will work too in SMP, but don't know if they work...

Back