• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage Apple Software

He has a bunch of eBay auctions up. Some pretty decent looking software; although very misleading titles in some cases.

He says for a bunch that they are Apple II software, but then also says "may run on" and includes IBM PC, Commodore, and Atari... Which they very well will *NOT*.

Some of the starting bids are a bit high, but others are fine. I bid on one item, but not high enough.

They're not misleading. Just didn't have time to research every single item in detail and I use the same template over and over to save time. Apple is not my specialty but I did mention the listing inaccuracies were not meant to mislead and feel free to email with questions. If the auction seems a bit high, I'm sorry but I can't give it away. I'm in business to make money. I did relist some that didn't sell at a lower price though.

Notice I didn't post my store to the public. I really only wanted to alert the hard core Apple users/collectors. Otherwise, I could shamelessly pump my wares and I'd rather not do that.

I also have a large box of 5.25 disks, all Apple software, diagnostics, etc but because they are not original labels, some are just copies, I can't auction them on ebay. The won't allow it and I'd get a mark against me so, I will be offering them up at some point soon to you people. Several hundred disks and even a few 3.5's.

I brought back two Apple IIGS computers from my warehouse today to sell and even more software. I'll be busy all weekend and into next week just listing.

Is there money to be made listing anything and everything on ebay? It seems to me you have to research the items and then list the best stuff with great descriptions to make money while the other stuff just sucks up listing fees and doesn't sell.

They're not misleading. Just didn't have time to research every single item in detail and I use the same template over and over to save time.

I did not accuse you of intentionally trying to deceive, it's rather obvious that you don't know that much about them. But it is still misleading. If I drive up to a car lot that has "CHEVROLET" emblazoned on all the signs, to find a bunch of Fords, that's misleading, even if the owner can't tell the difference.

Like I said, a little misleading, some opening bids were high (looks like you're rectifying that, good work,) but as Unknown_K mentions, you'd be more likely to get more money by doing research and listing appropriately.

You have to know the stuff you are selling. For every person who lists a common Nintendo system on ebay that just happens to have a rare game in it and lucks out with a $10,000 winning bid there are hundreds who have something very valuable and do no describe it well because they have no clue and that item sells for nothing.

You can spot a generic template in an auction in a fraction of a second. Sometimes what it says and what you see in the picture do not even jive so many people do not take the chance on bidding and move on. If I want the C64 version of a game I don't want to see text that may mean it could be for the PC or Atari or whatever.

Unless all your stuff is actually selling for a price you can live with it might be better to list less stuff and do a better job on the details. You might make more money that way or get a better feel on what is currently selling and target that area better. The shotgun approach works better for operations with enough people to pack up tons of items and who also get the stuff in massive quantity for nothing (scrappers).

You can put up a million generic auctions for $.99 and hope you get lucky enough times to make a profit in all that volume, put up a million detailed auctions at crazy pricing hoping to sell a few items a month to make money, or you can try small detailed targeted postings at a good price.

I've been selling for quite a while and have done well. Normally I detail every listing but I had to unload a lot of stuff recently to pay an unexpected bill and have been working til 1 am every night for over a week. I add more photos than most and try to include pictures of the system requirements and tweak the description a little. By adding a few key words to the tile, more people find my store and spend time looking around. My traffic statistics show that. It breaks my heart that I have to sell my Apple collection which I haven't had long. I wanted to hold on to it and explore everything in detail. Alas...I just went through a divorce and came close to losing my home. I'm now in liquidation mode between now and spring so I can get ready to sell out of NY State and move to WNC.

I should add that I rarely auction anything. I usually research the item and list in store with a buy it now or best offer on every item. In 4 to 6 months I sell for top dollar with minimal listing fees. Well, they used to be minimal. They went from .03 cents a month to .20. Doesn't seem like much until you have 300 to 400 items listed.

Last edited:
I've got Sidewalk Sneakers, Missing Links, Word-A-Mation, The Pond, The Puzzler and Teasers By Tobbs (which runs on Acorn, Apple, Atari, Commodore, IBM and TSR) all in original orange binders coming up soon.

Does that interest anyone?

Back