• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

UVic selling Vintage Terminals

swylie

Hello again,

Instead of trying to sell these units off one at a time, I put them all into one container on a pallet for easy/cheaper shipping.

www.ebayitem.com/280548062183

I am hoping that enthusiasts will get together to buy it and pay for shipping it to one location where they can then split it up.

If these don't sell, regardless of price (auction starts at $0.99) then they all go into the recycle bin.

Contact me if you have any questions,

Stephen Wylie
swylie@uvic.ca

If it's all palatalized, shipping is as easy as calling a company, they send a truck to your door with a lift gate and you don't have to lift a finger. Even the buyer can do that, you just have to have it ready by the door. The last DEC VT100 keyboard I had sold for 300 bucks with no cord. You have a lot of $$$ sitting there but I'm all tapped out at the moment.

It may not be as easy as it seems.

Due to the location (IE: Victoria, B.C. Canada), there will be customs forms/declations, and possibly taxes and duties involved if shipped on a pallet.

Shipping individually though, it might not be so bad.

Maybe one of the forum members in Kelowna or Vancouver, would want to take a ferry ride? Do they still do afternoon tea at the Empress?

LOL Not so simple from Kelowna (although I'm in Penticton now, it's almost the same distance). Getting to the ferry terminal is about 5 hours, then about 2 hours on the ferry (which costs about $70).

Trust me, if it were a simple thing, I'd be doing it. I can think of a few uses for a couple of those terminals!

WOW!!

I wish I knew somebody in Canada that had a truck!!

LOL Well, someone in St. John's would have a 7000 km (4500 miles) road trip to Victoria. At 8 hours a day driving, that's about 11 days. In a truck it could also be $1000 worth of gas. How far is it (by road) from where you live?

Edit: and add food and cheap hotel would make the trip easily $2000. So If you were planning on going back home with the loot, it would be 4 grand total. Hmmm shipping is starting to sound really cheap. :) However, those are extremes - the average Canadian would only have to travel half as far.

Last edited:
For example, to ship this to me would cost $390 CAD. If anyone were actually interested, I might be persuaded to do it and distribute the wealth individually, but only because I'm totally absolutely 100% insane.

On the other hand, there are several services for freight and vehicles between the Puget Sound area and Victoria (e.g. Black Ball, Victoria Clipper) that might actually be less expensive. Customs may be another issue, I don't know.

LOL Not so simple from Kelowna (although I'm in Penticton now, it's almost the same distance). Getting to the ferry terminal is about 5 hours, then about 2 hours on the ferry (which costs about $70).

$ 70 ?
I can remember when it was $ 28 including the car, and three passengers.
Must be the high speed ferries that jumped the price up.
But wait - you don't have those high speed ferries anymore do you? LOL, LOL.

With lotonah in Penticton BC and kvanderlaag in Alberta, it does look like there is a bit of interest in Western Canada. Like Chuck says, customs may be a problem but there is excellent connection to US. Washington State Ferries operated a car ferry between Sidney BC (where the Victoria ferry docks) and Anacortes on the state side. Reservations at (206) 464-6400. In the summer time they even offer vehicular access straight from Victoria to Seattle. See ferry route map.

With lotonah in Penticton BC and kvanderlaag in Alberta, it does look like there is a bit of interest in Western Canada. Like Chuck says, customs may be a problem but there is excellent connection to US. Washington State Ferries operated a car ferry between Sidney BC (where the Victoria ferry docks) and Anacortes on the state side. Reservations at (206) 464-6400. In the summer time they even offer vehicular access straight from Victoria to Seattle. See ferry route map.

What are you suggesting?
We all drive to Seattle and meet you at the Ferry?
I miss the Canadian humour. :)
Go on, take the drive - when's the last time you had afternoon tea at the Empress?

What are you suggesting?
We all drive to Seattle and meet you at the Ferry?
I miss the Canadian humour. :)
Go on, take the drive - when's the last time you had afternoon tea at the Empress?

Hehe, well I don't have a car now. It's been years since I've had tea at the Empress. I've been to Victoria quite often and even played a number of gigs there. Anyway, what I am suggesting is that someone in Washington take a drive to Victoria since the connection is quite short and only one ferry ride - same as us mainland BCers. I just noticed that the OP states that "International shipments (to places out of Canada) will have accurate bill of lading/commercial invoice stating actual price paid." That should ease the border crossing considerably.

Got'cha.
So we really need someone in WA state (or West coast Canada) to pick up the stuff, and redistribute it to the interested parties.
There's no use someone in Arizona (me) getting the stuff and redistributing it, as it wouldn't be worthwhile after all the shipping costs were taken into account.
Bummer.
Unfortunately, like many others, this batch might end up being recycled.

Boy, would I love a real VT100, and I'm in Kelowna, I might know someone over on the Island, I'll ask my buddy and see how close his dad is to uvic.

I was really tempted by these, but I just couldn't figure out how to make my way out there, pretty good round trip and they've got me stuck out of town working...

Back