• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TRS-80 PC-2 extra RAM not there

pavery

Experienced Member
I've recently acquired a Pocket Computer PC-2 (quite rare here in New Zealand) that has the 8K RAM module (cat 26-3616) installed. However when I do a MEM or STATUS 0, I still get 1850. I've done a cold reset, and removed & cleaned connectors on RAM module - no change. I have searched for the RAM/ROM manual online, but to no avail. Does anyone have a scanned copy of this manual or can provide a web link for it? Is there a Poke or some command that initialises these RAM modules?

Many thanks
Philip

I've recently acquired a Pocket Computer PC-2 (quite rare here in New Zealand) that has the 8K RAM module (cat 26-3616) installed. However when I do a MEM or STATUS 0, I still get 1850. I've done a cold reset, and removed & cleaned connectors on RAM module - no change. I have searched for the RAM/ROM manual online, but to no avail. Does anyone have a scanned copy of this manual or can provide a web link for it? Is there a Poke or some command that initialises these RAM modules?

Many thanks
Philip

Sorry for the delay in my reply -- I just noticed this thread. Have you resolved this issue yet?

I own a Sharp PC-1500 (same as TRS PC-2) and I have the 8K module in my unit. I have the owner's manual for my memory module, which Sharp refers to as a CE-159. The memory can be set up as RAM only, protected (readout) only, or a combination of both. If you still need information get back to me and I will scan the instructions for switch setting, etc.

I have searched for the RAM/ROM manual online, but to no avail. Does anyone have a scanned copy of this manual or can provide a web link for it? Is there a Poke or some command that initialises these RAM modules?

I got to thinking that other TRS PC-2/Sharp PC-1500 owners (and future visitors to this forum) might find this information useful, so I scanned my owner's manual. Here is a link:

http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65d/CE-159_Memory_Module.pdf

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in my reply -- I just noticed this thread. Have you resolved this issue yet?

I was surprised by the lack of replies. Perhaps I should have put the thread in the Tandy/Radio Shack section. No, I haven't resolved the issue.

I own a Sharp PC-1500 (same as TRS PC-2) and I have the 8K module in my unit. I have the owner's manual for my memory module, which Sharp refers to as a CE-159. The memory can be set up as RAM only, protected (readout) only, or a combination of both. If you still need information get back to me and I will scan the instructions for switch setting, etc.

I got to thinking that other TRS PC-2/Sharp PC-1500 owners (and future visitors to this forum) might find this information useful, so I scanned my owner's manual. Here is a link:

http://home.comcast.net/~kvaughn65d/CE-159_Memory_Module.pdf

Thanks Ken for scanning & placing the Sharp manual online. I see from that, that the CE-159 is a more elaborate 8K module than the RS 8K module. The RS unit doesn't have the battery back up or switches. The installation procedure appears to be: just to plug the module in, switch on and enter NEW0. I assume at that point the extra RAM is recognised and a MEM statement should return a number greater than the 1850, which I still get.

Philip

Thanks Ken for scanning & placing the Sharp manual online. I see from that, that the CE-159 is a more elaborate 8K module than the RS 8K module. The RS unit doesn't have the battery back up or switches. The installation procedure appears to be: just to plug the module in, switch on and enter NEW0. I assume at that point the extra RAM is recognised and a MEM statement should return a number greater than the 1850, which I still get.

Philip

When I install my 8K memory module and enter NEW0 it returns a value of 1850 plus whatever amount of the 8K that is not reserved as ROM. If I allocate all of the 8K memory module as RAM and enter MEM it returns the value 10042 (1850+8192).

***Update*** Phillip, after thinking about what you said about the TRS 8K module being less elaborate I searched the Net for additional information on Sharp memory modules. Sharp also sold a simple 8K RAM only module (CE-155). It has been a long time since I used my PC-1500 and just assumed that my memory module was all that was available. Don't know how the CE-155 worked though.

Last edited:
I have a PC-2 and I believe an 8k module in it (it's been a while since I've fiddled with the thing)... I'll check later tonight to see what MEM returns.

I have the original manuals for it. Can't imagine them being much different than the Sharp ones, but if I notice any difference in the memory related sections, I'll scan the pages for you.

I too have a Radio Shack PC2 with 8K RAM module.
It also returns MEM = 10042

RAM manual

RAM manual

I have a PC-2 and I believe an 8k module in it (it's been a while since I've fiddled with the thing)... I'll check later tonight to see what MEM returns.

I have the original manuals for it. Can't imagine them being much different than the Sharp ones, but if I notice any difference in the memory related sections, I'll scan the pages for you.

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been away for 10 days.

Thanks to Vint & Ken, we've established that MEM should return 10042 with the 8K module installed. Mine doesn't, so I presume the RAM module is defective, however I first need to make sure there's not any (re)initialization I need to do.

A scan of these pages (or whole manual) would be good as the Radio Shack version doesn't appear to be on the net, yet is quite different to the Sharp module. Also of use would be knowing how to 'use' the extra RAM - this isn't covered in the PC-2 Owner's Manual. I presume this is covered in the RAM module manual?

Many thanks for any assistance
Philip

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been away for 10 days.

Thanks to Vint & Ken, we've established that MEM should return 10042 with the 8K module installed. Mine doesn't, so I presume the RAM module is defective, however I first need to make sure there's not any (re)initialization I need to do.

A scan of these pages (or whole manual) would be good as the Radio Shack version doesn't appear to be on the net, yet is quite different to the Sharp module. Also of use would be knowing how to 'use' the extra RAM - this isn't covered in the PC-2 Owner's Manual. I presume this is covered in the RAM module manual?

Many thanks for any assistance
Philip

I just remembered about this thread... Sorry about the delay! I'm going to check tonight and confirm this.

*setting calendar reminder on phone*

@EddieDX4 Thanks for checking that. You say you have the manual for the Ram expansion. All I need now to know is: Is there any "initialisation" required when inserting extra RAM? Or do you just snap in it & go?

Thanks
Philip

@EddieDX4 Thanks for checking that. You say you have the manual for the Ram expansion. All I need now to know is: Is there any "initialisation" required when inserting extra RAM? Or do you just snap in it & go?

Thanks
Philip

Snap and go... There is no initialisation to be performed, the RAM should be addressed immediately.

Back