• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Prefered Dos variant for a 486

According to Wikipedia, PTS-DOS's last 16-bit release was "PTS-DOS 2000" aka "PTS-DOS Extended Version 6.70".

PTS-DOS 32 is either 16-bit or 32-bit, it's unclear, but according to Wikipedia it supports FAT32 where previous versions did not.

There's also a (very) illegal fork by a group of developers who left and brought source with them called PTS-DOS v6.51CD, and it's successor Paragon DOS Pro 2000 (which was apparently bundled with source from the older version).. I'd like to get my hands on that source-bundled copy.

Anyway did you read my prior post? Looks like you missed it based on your last post.

Yes I saw your last post Raven. Was downloading the PTS trail version and posting. No you're NOT having my toy :p There's a few KVMs at our local auction, really wanted folks model prefs, so I'll go that route but thanks for the offer. Shipping would be a killer anyway. I did post a link to Dos 7.1 previously, mentioned FreeDos as well and am quite well aware of the origins of OpenDos ;). DrDos was my dos of choice back in the early 90s.

Found some 92-95 "Your Computer"(an old Assie comp mag) TECH TIPS Digests. Am having a gander at them at the moment. Who says blokes can't multitask.

Keep the info rolling though folks. Others in a similar position will find it usefull no dought.

Attachments

• IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
*realizes that you're one of the participants of the Presario thread*

Ah, just as well anyway, because I'm already spending money I don't have this month.

Ole Juul it certainly looks interesting. I could be wrong but at one point I think you could download a version of PTS Dos at one point? Seems you still can http://www.phystechsoft.com/ptsdos/index.php?page=20 A bit of delay on boot up iirc compared with the purchased version.

I tried it years ago and have an old free version sitting around somewhere. The main problem to me then was the 60sec boot delay. Basically that makes it impossible to try it because it is while testing that one reboots many times. I note that it is cheaper now than it used to be. It was $50 back then and you had to send money. Now, when money is also worth less, it is available for much less, and via the net.

In my personal computing history, I did use DR DOS 7. something for a lark, but never really adapted to it so went back to MS DOS. I always felt guilty about it because I try to avoid MS, but as time goes by I feel OK about it. The basic OS is pretty solid and has never given me trouble. The downside is only for those who don't have their own suite, or collection, of utilities for rounding out the OS. The utilities that MS bundled with the OS were mostly crap. And I mean crap. :) That doesn't matter nowadays because we have all these wonderful replacements for free. It's a shame that the PCmag utilities got taken down though, but you can sometimes find them on discarded discs or if you ask around. ;)

Hear what you're saying. Some software, like PCGeos integrated well with DrDos supporting it's task switcher. One thing OS/2, Windows and Dos have in common is the damn restarts. I guess we've gotten use to it. Its just the way it is. Was quite surprised when I started fiddling with Linux and thought "why can't all OSs be like this". But as with any OS it got it's quirks as well.

The best OS I've ever tried, in my opion, was QNX. Amazing stuff. You could have a Gui and access the internet strait from a 1.44 meg floppy.

Around $NZ30 for PTS Dos is pretty good going alright.

Last edited:
Back