• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What linux should I install?

Something to be aware of is that the Ubuntu/Debian 2.6 kernel need Pentium Pro or better and won't run on Pentium class machines. But it's RAM footprint for command-line only install is quite low still, 64MB enough even.

Something to be aware of is that the Ubuntu/Debian 2.6 kernel need Pentium Pro or better and won't run on Pentium class machines. But it's RAM footprint for command-line only install is quite low still, 64MB enough even.

Just for the record, last night I tried to install Ubuntu server (command line only) on a PII 266 w/128MB ram, and it wouldn't go. I ended up using a Debian minimal install which went on fairly quickly.

I've got two comparable systems that have been in use since then. One has four partitions with three OSes (last partition is a place for mastering CDs for burning.) The OSes are:
DOS 6.2/Win3.11
OS/2 Warp
Yggdrasil Linux (the original LiveCD Linux.)

The second system runs Win95, NT3.51, and a version of SuSE--7 dot something, I think. It was originally SuSE 6 dot something off of a Linux distro sampler, but I upgraded about 18mos later.

Both are Pentium 90s or close to it (they may have been upgraded a bit or overclocked a bit). The first is a Frankenstein's monster built out of components from fallout systems, the second is a system that was an NT domain administration workstation back in the day that got turned into a Quake server when it got put to pasture. The RAM is either 32MB or 64MB in them, I forget which. They have NE2000 compatible 10Base-T NICs in them.

The Yggdrasil is not compatible with present Linux binaries, but nothing goes on to that system in binary form, anyway. Most of the software on it was ported from source for HP-UX 9.0x. It's still running Mosaic as a browser. It doesn't do Javascript or Flash, but it's secure as all get-out. ;)

At least for Debian, this isn't true. As far as I know, Debian installs an i486 or i686 kernel on demand, depending on your CPU.

Intriguing setups saundby. Nice.
Indeed, saundby has a nice collection. It's been a while since I've come across the name Yggdrasil. :)

Thanks. I thought I'd throw out examples of what runs on a system of that vintage based on what I've actually got running--FWIW for the OP.

A lot of the systems I have around here are pretty much "as they were" the day someone pulled the plug on them, walked toward the dumpster, and had me throw myself between the computer and the dumpster.* What I usually do with my systems is try to fill them out a bit with add-ons, but run software on them that's the stuff that was written for them, rather than something newer.

On Yggdrasil, it was the first Linux I ran that I didn't have to compile from source, and I liked it a lot, so I still run it. It came as a LiveCD, and it really surprised me how long it took for this idea to catch on with other distros.

*Apparently I've become somewhat known for this. I have had people I don't know walk up to me in a parking lot, hand me a trash bag while saying, "This is for you", then walk off. The trash bag had a C64, disk drive, about 75 original disks & a few manuals and boxes in it. Later investigation still hasn't gotten to the root of why they (correctly) thought I'd want a trash bag full of old computer. The best I can figure is that they were friends of friends who told them where to expect me and what I drive or look like. *shrug*

My opinion is, that you install a actual debian system for "work-related" things, if you have such things. I think this makes sense for security reasons. You can install some old operation systems along debian, thats no problem. If your 486 has PCI, throw in a Promise IDE controller.

From them you could boot cdroms and install harddisks up to 2000 Gigabytes (if I remember the manual correctly, this is no fault from me the size is correct). RAM is always important, but as I remember a Debian 5.0 "Lenny" installs with 32 Megabytes. For a text system, of course. You may throw in a "fancy" graphics card, that you could use some higher framebuffer resolutions. 1024x768 in framebuffer compared to the gerneric 80x25 is very comfortable.

If you install 64 Megabytes or more, you could try some X oriented things. Fluxbox or Openbox for example. They are quite lightweight. LXDE is also an opinion (and only the deskop system!), it uses Openbox and gives you a Windows like menu feeling. I made some tests with lenny and a Pentium 166 some time ago, to get the specific RAM requirement, and the summary is, that, even with 64 Megabytes, the system is quite "usable" as long you do not run some "heavy" applications like firefox or openoffice.

Promise made ISA IDE controllers that overcame bios hd limits as well, but PCI would be better. A lot of the earlier packaged distros had the advantage of having 3.5" disks you could boot your system into the installation routine if it could'nt boot from the CD, much like win9x boot disks. A few later distros, including liveones, have floppy disk images available for this purpose.

Later 486s and earlier Pentiums were quite capable of using 8 gig drives IIRC. Doesn't the Linux kernal usually bypass such bios limitations once loaded? A lot of usefull things can be done using a 4 gig drive though. I run a p200mmx with one using RH 7.2 with a built in 1meg video card, networking etc. As for X front ends WindowMaker is also an option as mentioned earlier. WM works well on my 486DX2/66 with Gtk1 applications. Quite like the chunky oldskool Gtk1 look n feel. As TNC mentions stick to some of the lighter stuff. I learnt early on to kick Nautilus and the likes into touch. It dragged the P200 to a crawl. Use the likes of mc or gnome-commander instead. That system now has 256meg of ram, folk throw it out these days :), started out as a 32meg system.

Screen shot below is of the 486. The 200mmx in the second pic with my newly aquired lcd monitor.

Attachments

• md6.JPG
    md6.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 200mmx.jpg
    200mmx.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I have an 80GB drive in my 200MMX box (Presario 3020) and it crawls web browsing on 98SE with K-Meleon - how is web browsing on yours under Linux, and what browser do you use? (If you don't browse on there, what WOULD you use?)

Opera 8.5 Runs fine via the networked 2.4mhz box. I've got a P2 300 win98 box I rarely use now, was the main household PC for many years, with an earlier Firefox on it. That runs fine too. Depending on what you are actually doing on the internet a text browser may be usefull.

When I say runs fine I mean acceptable to me. It's subjective.

Attachments

• opera.jpg
    opera.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just hooked up a hdd to the 200 with SuSE 7.2 Professional (an older commercial distro with floppy boot disk to start the installation) on it along with Opera 9.64 (not part of the install but added later). Runs real well. Use the text based YaST to configure it instead of the graphical YaST2(believe me its slowww-KDE based) It comes with a great set of manuals (certainly better than its contemparies), as well and enough applications to keep anyone happy. Minimal requirements are a 486DX and 32 megs of ram (text only I'd imagine as mention earlier). Still plenty of usefull links out there to configure stuff like cdwriting.

Originally installed it on an Athlon 900(my old test rig) or thereabouts then put it in the 200. Obviously the 200 had a different video setup so X bulked, not surprising, then proceeded to the logon prompt. It was a simple matter of log in as root, run YaST selecting the correct video card, network card etc, let the config script do its thing, exit then log out. Then just login in as user, start X(not that its' needed as the underlying OS is fully functional in itself but I personnally like eye candy) and back into it. You can set it up to auto login to any user account on startup and into your desktop/gui of choice. I've mentioned before mine is Window Maker. I like the way it resets the desktop to where you where at when if closes down and it's resonably light compared to Gnome and KDE.

Another light window manager is http://www.icewm.org/

Last edited:
Something to be aware of is that the Ubuntu/Debian 2.6 kernel need Pentium Pro or better and won't run on Pentium class machines.
The Ubuntu -generic kernel up to 10.04 will run on Pentiums, for next release they are raising the minimum up to to Pentium Pro.

Last edited:
The Ubuntu -generic kernel up to 10.04 will run on Pentiums, for next release they are raising the minimum up to to Pentium Pro.
So how would you propose to do that? I just tried to install a basic (no GUI) Ubuntu on a Pentium I with 64MB ram, which is twice what the OP has, and it just wouldn't do it.

This may sort things out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements
Call me old fashion but 1 gig hard disk space, and 128megs of ram seems an lot for a cli only installation.
I'm old fashioned, like you, :) and enjoy a DOS "install" which can fit on a 360K floppy.

I'm actually very familiar with the Ubuntu Server CLI install. That's how I usually do it. and it goes on pretty quick, and then you just add whatever desktop you choose after that. KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, you name it and hit enter. One can probably pare the CLI only down a bit, but note that the Ubuntu Server installation will serve web pages, run mySQL databases, and on and on. It is a most functional system. I run a server with that and I love it.

That said. I also have a P1 with 64MB ram and a CLI FreeBSD installation that takes up 292MB. (I just put that together 10 minutes ago - lol) It is also pretty functional, but it will not run web sites, blogs, and forums, like the Ubuntu install will.

Must give FreeBSD a shot sometime.

How's about OS/2 on a 486DX2/66 with 16megs of ram and total install including usefull apps and networking, of about 120meg. Graphical of course ;)

Attachments

• Where.jpg
    Where.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back