• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Rainbow 100 software/system information

NeXT

Veteran Member
So I have come into possession of a Rainbow 100.
It came with a sheet of paper taped to the top that says that it has 360K memory, the graphics upgrade, a 5mb drive (so this is at the least a Series B 100) which is quite noisy and apparently loaded with both DOS and CP/M and a bunch of software to go laong with both operating systems.
Unfortunately the two things I am lacking are the books and disks which were apparently in room #3 (at wherever the system was being sold) and the keyboard.
I tried the keyboard that came with my VAXstation 2000 but it didn't seem to clear the keyboard error the nice orange but cataract-ridden screen was showing me.
So firstly, what kinds of keyboards are supported and secondly, how hard is it to source the original disks and documentation that the 100 uses?
I see that at least two sets of the above mentioned books and software have passed between forum members recently. It would be nice to get a set of my own now that I got a system myself with some nice specs.

There is a VT220 that came in on one of the skids from that giant haul. If I can locate its keyboard I'm sure I can get this to work.

Actually, any DEC LK keyboard should work (I think they all have the phone-handset-style connector). I usually use an LK401 with Rainbows since it's a bit smaller than the LK201.

As for boot disks, why not just start it from the hard disk (once you get a keyboard)? From the boot menu, enter "W" for start from drive "W," and you should be either presented with another boot menu or an operating system. If you don't see the "W" option from the Rainbow's main menu, you actually have a 100A. To check if you have an A or B, just look at the model number near the AC plug on the back of the unit. It should have model number "PC-100-A" or "PC-100-B" or "PC-100-B2". The A models can use a hard disk; they just can't boot from it directly.

Disks and documentation come up reasonably frequently on ebay. The links Micom gave are good too. Making a boot disk from scratch, though, can be quite a task without already having a booting Rainbow.

Disk images would be nice.
I know mine is a B model. That was one of the first things I looked for when I got it.
So if any LK should work, I'm puzzled as to why the one from my VAXstation still gave it the keyboard error.

Not just any LK will work. LK201 and LK401 are correct for rainbow/decmate/pro350/VT2XX,3XX,4XX.

The LK250/LK450 were PC-compatible versions of the LK201 and LK401. I have a German LK250 around here somewhere. At any rate, I'm pretty sure that the vaxstations used the 250/450.

Lou

I'm using an LK401-AA right now and all I get out of the system is...
Code:
See Owner's Manual - MESSAGE 13 - Keyboard

the keyboard plugs into the monitor no?

i found some dec floppies laying around if someone could walk me through imaging them i would glady send u the images
also need to image my osborn and heathkit disks
decz.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that you can use Dave Dunfield's IMD tool under DOS. Use a 1.2MB floppy drive configured as such. Data rate would be 300K, single-stepped for 80 tracks. (there are 10 sectors of 512 bytes per track).

Yes, the keyboard does plug into the monitor.
I might of sourced the original keyboard (it is at least Digital and equally yellowed with similar nasty masking tape on it that's annoying to remove). I'll be home lates and my roommate noise curfew won't let me test it untal tomorrow.
Those disks look great.

Okay, I tried the keyboard out and no suprise, it worked.
The drive, while incredibly noisy, still has everything intact as well. What was said on the sheet was indeed what the system has.
One gripe I ahve so far is that the screen is very dim. The contrast is cranked and I still ahve to close the blinds to see anything. I guess it's better than nothing.

Anyways, celebratory pictures now that it's working as it should.

Rainbow.jpg

100_1225.jpg

100_1224.jpg

100_1220.jpg

100_1221.jpg

100_1223.jpg

100_1227.jpg

100_1228.jpg

100_1229.jpg

nice

is that dirt on the monitor screen? otherwise find another monitor for it... if my monitor had not go fizzle on me i would still have mine but i gave mine a good home back in july

should be a brightness setting on it somewhere no?

Brightness and contrast controls are on the back of the monitor. The brightness it at half but the contrast is maxed.
Those spots are the cataracts that form when the shatter guard separates from the tube.
It's mentioned here.

The dark spots can also be mold, which seems to like the PVA adhesive used--it depends on how the CRT was stored. There are a couple of YouTube videos showing how to remove the shatter guard and clean things up--but it takes a bit of nerve.

Back