• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Kaypro vs. TRS-80 - which is most fun?

MattCarp

Experienced Member
I'm looking at the machines on my shelf and have two Z-80 based machines - the Kaypro II and the TRS-80 Model 4. I'm thinking about setting one of the machines free, and want to get some opinions from the field.

My model 4 is a 26-1069A, gate array model, which is the later version, and differs from the 4D because it doesn't have double-sided drives and has 64K, but I upgraded it to 128K, which is possible on this model.

My Kaypro is a IIx, which is a later model unit with a 4MHz CPU.

Here's my current thinking:

I think both machines are equivalent in value, $50-150, and both machines don't have huge appreciation potential.

The Model 4 has better ergonomics (it is a desktop, after all), but all of the operating systems are "unique".

Both systems have a good complement of documentation and software (word processor, spreadsheet, communications software).

I think the Kaypro bothers me more - the case feels like a thin and hollow aluminum shell, and I'm not sure there's as much software out there. Then again, I'm not looking for a bunch of programs and won't do much either anyway.

The TRS-80 can run CP/M, so I could run most CP/M programs on it, right?

What do you guys think about these machines?

Hi Matt,

Hard choice. I have both in my collection and I would give neither one up easily!

If I was MADE to choose, I'd probably keep the Kaypro II and release the Model IV. Not because the Model IV is an inferior machine (quite the contrary) but because it's not quite the classic the Kaypro II is, and my main interest is in popular, classic micros that lots of people knew about, used and loved.

It would be a different story if I had to choose between my TRS-80 Model I and the Kaypro II though!

In the end, it's all about what attributes you care about most as an owner/collector.

Tez

Having used CP/M on both, I'd probably keep the Kaypro as well. There's a ton of CP/M software available on the Internet. I also use my Kaypro for developing software for my 8085 single board computer project. My biggest complaint about the Kaypro is the slow graphics, and the effect that has on terminal smulator programs. You can get a copy of a piece of freeware that's just an interrupt-driven dumb terminal emulator for the Kaypro though, and that works fine up to at least 9600 baud.

Two different animals. The Kaypro is a luggable that can be tucked away easily when not in use. The TRS-80 Model 4 is a desktop that is going to take up real estate in one of your rooms. The Model 4 is definitely the more capable machine with more games and fun stuff to do with it. I agree with Tezza on this though. Keep both. Some time in the future, you're going to regret getting rid of one. The money you'll get from the sale might not be that much. However, I've seen some machines going for outrageous prices lately. Yesterday a Tandy Model 16 sold for $686 and shipping cost almost $170. And the seller wouldn't even plug it in to see if it worked.

ooh.. saw that auction, didn't catch the end price though, but a model 16 is a pretty sweet one. I think you have a pretty good selection of answers but what is it you enjoy doing on the vintage systems or on these two systems specifically? You sounded pretty set on keeping the Model 4 which may be your answer anyway. Kaypro from what I understand was the first computer to bundled software in with the sale, so that and being a wonderfully huge "portable computer" gets it some good attention from your audience. The Model 4 though does have that nice vintage look to it, similar to a Pet IMO on that cool all-in-one vintage design. I'm not sure if the 4 had much historical significance (something to look up!) You could also consider which would you be happier as an emulated system vs physical.

I'd keep the Kaypro if I had to give one up. That said, I still miss the Model III I gave up a few years ago. But dang it was big and hard to store with its own extras. In my case, I have multiple Kaypros, which influenced my decision. I had to reduce, and the Model III got sent to a new home. My TI-99/4As went to another home at the same time.

They've all got their own qualities. Now I'm trying to decide what else I can give up, since I'm planning a move next year. Winnowing is painful, but necessary. And it usually takes months to find a new home for a system.

Appreciate the comments.

I'm keeping both for at least a while! I was leaning on giving up the Kaypro, but you guys gave me pause.

That was interesting about the Model 16. The 16 though was a rare breed..

Back