• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Here's one nobody wants to miss...

Kinda weird arrangement. Is this some known auction company? Here's the remote bid page looks like it's a live auction although their pretend price is pretty high even for a fantasy auction .. oooh.. we should have a Fantasy Computer Collection League! jk

I wonder if Christies would need to add a keyword "computational" or so, next to the mathematical and scientific instruments. It looks a little silly to label an Apple I as a "slide rule", even if an electronic slide rule is pretty much what it is.

Hi
It mentions that it has original documentation. The pictures
show documents that look white. Most all of the original docs
I've seen from that time are slightly yellowed.
With the amounts involved, I'd surely have an expert look at
the board to determine if it is in fact real.
There was a sleaze that tried to pass one of the Replica I boards
off as a real Apple I, on ebay. For 1/4Mill, I could create a much better
copy. There are a number of chips that are hard to get but
re-labeling is not rocket science either.
As they say, buyer-beware. For that price I'd need to see it
running code as well before I'd even bother.
Dwight

..I was gonna start the bidding, but now I think I'll just wait it out. Thanks Dwight. ;-) Anyone recall the last ones price and more interestingly, was the price tag paid? I've heard more and more sensible stories lately about these insane bids falling through once the auction was over or being an "accident" with autobid (don't understand that to be honest). This still seems insanely high for their perceived value.

This is a legit Apple 1. I was the second owner and bought it from the original owner, Frank Anderson in Great Falls, Montana in the the mid-1980's for $20,000. The interesting thing about the unit is that it was actually sold by Steve Jobs using his parent's home address as the company address. I showed the original invoice with this information to Steve Wozniak one time and he was some what surprised--since he did had no knowledge of Apple 1's being sold out of the garage! I sold this unit to a collector in California several years ago for $25,000. He sold it on eBay about a year ago for $50,000. I guess the new owner has bigger ideas for it and I bet it makes the auction estimate. Christie's Auction House has a very high end cliental and it is getting lots of press all over the world. The letter in the box from Jobs to Frank Anderson about the type of keyboard to use is priceless--done on 3-ring binder lined note book paper, typed and signed. It will be interesting to see the final results.

Well the bidding is over and it sold for $213,600! It will be interesting to see what this does to the value of other Apple 1 computers.

Holy crap. I guess it was the signed documents and history of the specific peace that increased that price so much? I think we have a few threads with end prices of a few others over the years if anyone wants to compile them and do the math for us all to make sure we'll never see one in our private collections again ;-)

Back