• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM card identification

Ole Juul

Veteran Member
I've recently been rummaging around for genuine IBM cards. I've basically found what I needed, but it was not easy. It seems that the most distinguishing feature of IBM cards is that it does not say IBM on them. Is there a database of model numbers or chip layout or other identifying features which could be used for this? How do people do it?

You should note that almost all IBM cards that could be included in a stock machine has paint markings on the card edges (there are exceptions!). It is in the form of one green and one red mark overlapping on the top of the rearmost part of the card-edge. It should also be noted that most of therse cards also has a dobble-row with solder pads just above the edge connector (this was pretty unique with IBM's cards). In addition, most of IBM's cards consist of mostly discreete TTL logic, with a small name somewhere on the silk-screen, along with a seven-digit identification number and some kind of number which has been stamped onto the card during manufacturing/assembling.

Exceptions:
  • The PGC has some different paint markings on the edges; small spots of white/red/black, and differently located than the regular cards. It does not have the double row connector with soldering pads.
  • The Music feature card is very different, as it does not follow any of the trends listed above.
  • Some other I can't remember right now

The best way to identify them is just to know what they look like. That may be hard for cards such as the 5250 emulator adapter. If you get stuck, you may want to try identifying any of the IC's that are not regular TTL chips.

Thanks per, that helps a lot. I'll try to apply that to what I have.

The best way to identify them is just to know what they look like.

Yes, the ones I have confirmed are now easy for me to recognise. Of course if I'm in doubt, I'll post a picture, and people who do know can verify.

I worked for IBM back in the day as a test technician. We would mark the edges of cards to identify that they had passed certain tests. Sometimes I'd test whole boxes of cards, put them back in the trays and swipe their edges all at once.

Kipp

[*]The Music feature card is very different, as it does not follow any of the trends listed above.

Hope this doesn't shock and disappoint any purists out there, but the Music Feature card is "IBM" in name only. It's an OEM product, designed and manufactured by Yamaha Japan. So, while the "XB773" identifier may set it apart from IBM offerings, it's entirely consistent with other Yamaha products.

Hope this doesn't shock and disappoint any purists out there, but the Music Feature card is "IBM" in name only. It's an OEM product, designed and manufactured by Yamaha Japan. So, while the "XB773" identifier may set it apart from IBM offerings, it's entirely consistent with other Yamaha products.

I know, but IBM was the only company who sold them (and under the IBM name), hence it can be called an IBM card. IBM do have their name mentioned in the firmware ID string at least, and they did write a technical reference for it.

I worked for IBM back in the day as a test technician. We would mark the edges of cards to identify that they had passed certain tests. Sometimes I'd test whole boxes of cards, put them back in the trays and swipe their edges all at once.

Kipp

I also worked as a test tech at IBM and we would mark the edge of a card when we would reject it. If a card came back through with that mark on it, we would only use it if there were no others available as it would often fail again. If a marked card failed a second time we would scrap it to prevent it being in an endless loop of testing/rejecting.

Back