• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Onyx-IMI Computers

atarimuseum

Experienced Member
Anyone have any information on the Onyx-IMI computers. Apparently Corvus bought Onyx-IMI around 1985 and merged the companies.

I have been unable to locate any information on these computers other then they were some kind of Unix machines. Looks for photo's, technical information and such as I want to learn more about them, thanks.

Curt

The Onyx box (C8000) I used, ca. 1982 was a Z8000 (Xenix) box. Onyx+IMI was just down the (N. First in San Jose) street.

The relationship between Corvus and IMI was a strange one. IMI made drives for the early Apple II hard drive add-on. I got to play with their early 5.25" prototype drive--pretty big, about shoebox size with a smoke plastic cover. Voice-coil closed-loop servo positioner. I think about 4MB.

Onyx bought IMI, which I thought was a lousy decision and an even sillier name "Onyx+IMI". Then Corvus bought them and shortly thereafter filed for bankruptcy. Hey, what can I say? It was the 80's arbitrage and Michael Milken were big. :)

Milken, now there is a name I haven't heard in a long time, next to Madoff, that guy was a saint! :)

Yeah, the name was really stupid, most likely an ego compromise name...

Xenix! Cool, I used to mess around with a TRS80 Model 16 when I worked at Radio Shack while going to College in Manhattan, that was my first taste of Unix exposure, most people didn't even know how to use MS DOS yet! :)

Well, if you know of any photo's or anyone with a unit they are looking to trade/sell, let me know...

Thanks!
Curt

I don't remember too much about the thing. We used it to work on a port of our stuff to Xenix It had an 8" hard drive, a QIC (DC-300) tape drive and it was your basic black 19" wide industrial style box and otherwise undistinguished.

Hmmmm.... I found a thread where someone bought one for $10 at a flea market, he says it looked like a tape drive box. I also found some infoworld articles...

Apparently the C-8000 came with a Z80 CPU and Onyx licenses CP/M for it and then they had an upgrade board to make it a Z8000 system, but none of the Infoworld articles have any photo's. There is also a wikipedia page for Onyx Systems as well.

Curt

Back