• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

LNW80 Computer

billdeg

Technician
thm_lnw80_pic1.jpg

I am going to enjoy restoring this computer. Up until now I had never seen one in person before. It came with a VRData Hard Disk III for storage. I will post more info when I can.

The LNW80 is a TRS 80 Model 1 clone, it it supposed to be compatible with the TRS 80 DOS and software. I will report what I find, there is not much on the web about these, other than product literature and a few computer history web site pages with general info.

I remember always wanting one of these in the day. Never seen one in New Zealand. Good find Bill!

The keyboard still makes me think of a VIC/C64 keyboard. Perhaps the layout is rather common, but I think the LNW80 is closest to a Commodore layout, at least the left hand side.

I agree. This a TRS 80 with all the things you wish it had originally

100% (supposedly) compatible with TRS 80 model 1 software and hardware devices
4Mhz (switchable up and down for compatibility with old programs)
Color Graphics with enhanced BASIC to suit
Cassette drive speed control built in (for compatibility with old programs)
A better keyboard
ready for floppy and drives hard drives
etc

I have not powered it up yet, so I assume it does not work just to not get my hopes up too high....

The only weird thing about these is that they came from the factory with an open back, exposing the electronics over time. When that happens usually the caps on the exposed ends fry first, and I will check these first.

yes I did.
I also picked up what magazines I could fit, the model 1 software, and another TRS 80 Eight Meg Hard Drive (secondary drive) in box.

NOTE - The primary drive did not work, or it was expecting to be hooked to the secondard drive. I always get sucked into these bottomless pit TRS 80 model II projects. I will bet yours does not work...or did it just fire right up?

bd

The LNW80 was my first real computer (not counting the Sinclair ZX81). Bought as a populated mainboard, I managed to get it complete and working, even added some of the LNW80 model 2 options in the process. I still have it, but probably needs reseating all connectors to get it working again. Learned a lot on computers and floppy drive failures :).

There was not much special software for it; Charm (character driver and editor, 80x24 drivers for NewDOS/80v2 (and maybe more dosses), LNWBasic (support for hires graphics) and CP/M (needs RAM bankswitcher). LNW-CP/M can use the hi-res video for a 80x24 char screen (very slow!). There is a NO-CP/M (actually a patched LNW-CP/M) which replaced this by a 6845 based 80x24 card.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~fjkraan/comp/lnw/

Last edited:
I do have Charm and a CP/M for this,

If the CP/M came with the computer, you probably also have a RAM bankswitcher between the processor and mainboard. The standard LNW80, just like the TRS-80 M1, had ROM fixed at the lower 12 kByte. I added a Selector board (http://www.xs4all.nl/~fjkraan/comp/lnw/var/selector/), a Dutch contraption, and have never seen the original LNW80 variant. So any info or images of this would be very interesting.

I will try to make progress with the system this weekend, I believe I saw/read something about the RAM backswitcher in the materials or disks. It's a pretty complete set of disks.

Old number one

Old number one

Over the Hedge clip - resampled.JPG
The LNW 80 was my first computer, built from a kit in 1978. I was putting 50 cent chips into $2.oo gold plated sockets; and had to wire the keyboard too. It had two monitors, one B&W (for "high res" graphics and writing code) and one Colour for medium res colour graphics. {both made from old TVs}
A good friend of mine wrote some invaluable machine code routines that added graphics commands to the BASIC language I had to use for programming. He also wrote a machine coded COLOUR version of the famous 'Life' game that I have yet to see bettered.
I opted to use the better NEWDOS 80 rather than the TRS DOS that Radio Shack sold, as it had far superior features and floppy disk control. After buying a 256K floppy drive, 64K of memory and other hardware, I estimate it cost about $4500.oo to build myself; but the experience and learning computer basics was the real reward.
I still miss those pioneering days very much.

Last edited:
thm_lnw80_pic1.jpg

I am going to enjoy restoring this computer. Up until now I had never seen one in person before. It came with a VRData Hard Disk III for storage. I will post more info when I can.

The LNW80 is a TRS 80 Model 1 clone, it it supposed to be compatible with the TRS 80 DOS and software. I will report what I find, there is not much on the web about these, other than product literature and a few computer history web site pages with general info.

An interesting system, and the fact that it's got a hard drive makes it even more interesting. I've never seen one before.

Judging by the keyboard, and the fact it came with CP/M, it is most likely a Model II version of the LNW-80. I'd have to see a picture of the rear to be sure.

I have the original version. There was yet another that had MS-DOS compatibility called the TEAM computer.

looking closely at mine, (which I haven't touched in years, and only booted it to test it after I bought it) I might have a Model II too!

14_1.JPG

I thought it was a Model I. I'm going to have to set it up and see if a copy of LNW CP/M boots on it.

Last edited:
It has been a while but I do remember getting this one running a color display but I forget what program. Some model 1 (and I think model III software.) works on this. I doubt This is the a model II version. For that matter I did not even know there even was one. All of the software I have for it is 5 1/4"
See http://vintagecomputer.net/LNW/
Getting me thinking I should revisit this machine, kind of dropped the ball on this one. I was looking for a hires video cable, got distracted. I should image the disks, etc. I will try to do this next project I start. If I am wrong about the model I vs model II I will post a correction with details.

Update: this could be the lnw 80 II, still a model I clone but improved from the version of the orig lnw 80
Bill

Last edited:
There were three versions of the LNW-80:

1. First release - had turbo mode and high res graphics. CP/M was slow using the high res graphics.

2. The Model II had a 64k CP/M mode, 80 Column text, Apple compatible joystick port, RGB for color output, LNW 5/8 Doubler.

3. The LNW Team computer included MS-DOS compatibility in an external box.

Bill:

My second and third computers, after a TRS-80 Model I, were an LNW Model I and then a Model II. I sold them both years ago, but still have a lot of documentation.

Not seen on either LNW site:

1. LNW-CP/M OPERATING SYSTEM by R.M. Stiles, 48 pages, spiral-bound (complements the supplied DR CP/M manual)

2. LNW PRESENTS, SCHMITT COMPUTER SOFTWARE, SMALL BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTING PACKAGE; approximately 2" thick, in an "LNW SOFTWARE" 3-ring binder.

3. LNW SOFTWARE, MICROTERM (whoopee! :D ) 5.5"x8.5", 140 pages, spiral-bound

4. A folder of product announcements, such as: , some extracts from the LNW newsletter, etc.

If you get going on the LNW project, I'll happily loan you any or all of the above.

No software, unfortunately.

Mike

Sorry to resurrect an 8yr-old thread, but I just happened across an unused replacement keyboard for a LNW-80 at an estate sale. It was practically free, so I grabbed it not knowing what it was:

PXL_20220827_212528690.jpg PXL_20220827_212547641.jpg PXL_20220827_212617547.jpg

Question...this keyboard looks like the one in Al Hartman's machine pictured above. I've also seen a different looking LNW-80 keyboard pictured elsewhere. Which version of the LNW-80 is my keyboard for?

I also got a lot of neat promotional materials and catalogs from the era at the same sale, and some books, and some TRS-80 tapes and floppies that I'm going to stick in my Osborne (they were next to the Osborne books):

PXL_20220827_220135769.jpg PXL_20220827_220153659.jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iLf4xWo8XVghcMUN6

That is a LNW model 1 or a LNW model 2 factory keyboard; I had both. They were the same at least on mine. Many LNWs were put together and used what ever the individual making it had lying around. It should be worth some money and is desired by LNW owners, they will wear out, like any keyboard. Als LNW looks like a model 1 due to the fact the rs-232 is mounted on the case; other then the extra memory board inside those are the main visual differences. I hope you did not throw the keyboard out.

The model 2 differed from the model 1 in how the rs-232 worked, on the model 1 the baud an parity were set hard by little switches and the software could not over write the settings, the Model 2's rs-232 was like the Tandy trs-80 model 1 where the software could set the baud rate. I believe the TRS-80 had switches that set it up initially; not sure about my LNW 2 I always used software; It was why I upgraded to the LNW model 2; I was running a BBS with it and needed to have more then just 300 baud. My model 1 had a the LNW disk doubler installed and color. I belive C/PM could boot on either. As both had 64k which was ll that the z80 could address, with out memory paging.

Back