• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Acer Acros 486dx2/66

Used Arachne quite a while back with dialup as well as Web Spyder. Really just want to do stuff text based for a bit to get the grips if it. I have Novell Dos 7 and will give Netware a shot at some point too.

I wouldn't recommend it on anything lower than a 386 or 486 (I've only used it on 486+ tbh). It's pretty quick on a 486, but it's capable (with a different build) of running on anything down to an 8086.

Just going through bit n bobs and came across the 8 bit isa sound card out of the Amstrad PC286 I ended up disposing of a few months ago. It's an adlib compatible affair so removed the SB and fitted it to the Acer. Tested the card out using Wolfenstien 3D. Works well, definately better than I was expecting so it's a keeper. A pretty basic card with speaker output, joystick port, and volume knob. Can't be too many of these out in the wild.

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Finally got around to getting a KVM switch. Goodness knows how I managed my "hobby" without one. A 4 port affair that came with 2 sets of cables. With 2 more sets of cables I'll be in hobby heaven. Just need to set up some sort of rack to fit every thing on now.

Attachments

• IMAG0176.JPG
    IMAG0176.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1
Just been having a play the now famous mTCP suite. Transfering files from my XP box, running Home Ftp Server, to the Acros. Excellent effort. Had a wee issue with the coax initially that machine. Bad contact. Varified all was well with the software via my Linux machine first before I started pulling my hear out. Set up a static ip in the tcp.cfg file, point MTCPCFG to it using "set" and bingo! Impressed with the tiny memory footprint. Now I understand how usefull the suite is on infinitely older kit. Great documentation as well. Thanks!

Veiwing files names that rolled off the screen is an issue so in the quest to make things a bit easier I came across Minuet- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Internet_Users_Essential_Tool

I'll have a go at setting the CDS524 up as a ftp server next up.

Last edited:
Just going through bit n bobs and came across the 8 bit isa sound card out of the Amstrad PC286 I ended up disposing of a few months ago. It's an adlib compatible affair so removed the SB and fitted it to the Acer. Tested the card out using Wolfenstien 3D. Works well, definately better than I was expecting so it's a keeper. A pretty basic card with speaker output, joystick port, and volume knob. Can't be too many of these out in the wild.

Cool stuff!​

Last edited by a moderator:
The mTCP server works a treat. Removed the SB card and fitted a SB 16 and connected it to the cdrom. Used the QCD dos cd player and ND0 3.2a cd prayer to make sure all was honky dory. The dos player is able to set the volume quite a bit higher than the Geos item interesting enough.

Wow! It's been a while since I've posted something about this ol gal.

I'm in the process of fitting a 5.25 "1.2meg fdd to it. It will a transfer system to support the Zenith 286LP Plus and the XT Turbo class systems. Cover isn't held on by any screws what so ever. You unclip the front facia then unclip the top cover then slide it back and up. The drive cage unclips to remove it.IMG_20230516_121104_hdr.jpg

While I had the covers of I decided I'd give this thing a bit of a tickle up. I've installed Kingston TurboChip 133 which will happily run on 40MGz and perform about the same as a Pentium P90. Replacing the DE220 nic with a nic with a RealTech chip set and XT-IDE in the BootRom socket and have coice of sound cards. One with Yamaha chip set and the other ESS1868F chip set. Both have IDE headers so can add two more IDE devices on the tertiary IDE channel.IMG_20230524_061038.jpgIMG_20230524_061118.jpg

Back