• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

which 3.5 inch drives can handle more than 81 tracks *Starting a list*

k2x4b524[

Veteran Member
I'd like to start a list of 3.5" drives that can do more than 81 tracks and more than 21 sectors per such.

Any interface is legal tender, any platform

I'll start
YE-Data USB Floppy Made by VST for MAC
83 Tracks @ 24 Sectors using FREEFORM gives
2,050,560 usable bytes

Virtually all the high-density floppy drive, using appropriate software, can format more than 80 tracks / 18 sectors.
I do not see the utility. To what do you need, this list?

i know ANY 3.5 inch drive can go to 81 or maybe even 82, but what I'm looking for is which drives people have had experience with, that can go to 83, 84 and maybe more, without busting the drive mechanics. The utility used doesn't matter, just the drive, cylinders used, sectors used, and end capacity.

No so much "busting", but there are some drives that will "hang up" if you seek past the end of the range too enthusiastically. Can't remember which, however.

Could one of you please explain the purpose of doing so? I understand perhaps that you could squeeze more data onto a disk, but is there any further use? i.e., do any machines actually use said track in their standard formats, etc.?

Also, how can I test how far a drive can go without damaging it?

Some copy-protection schemes used data on track 80--and you can often see manufacturing QA information from the disk manufacturer. Other than that, I don't know. Data on the inner cylinders is typically less reliable (more crowding and lower S/N ratio due to the lower linear velocity).

If you look into the Kryoflux floppy adapter, they have a page that identifies floppy drives and their max track # supported. I think it is in their forums.

Kipp

Back