Votes: 38 33.9%

Votes: 8 7.1%

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 5+ (please post how many below)

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
Odered PCB's

Odered PCB's

So... i feel lucky to have ordered a couple of PCB's. thanks to everyone who has contributed energy to this whole thing - this is my first post, soooo :rolleyes:
c'ya

Hi! I have more of the XT-IDE boards if people are interested. These are available as the "PCB only" option so you build them yourself. The parts are common and inexpensive and construction is pretty simple so nearly everyone should be able to make their own.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

You are welcome! Thanks! Enjoy your XT-IDE and I hope it provides much enjoyment!

Have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

I just got my kits from hargle a few days ago.

I just sit and look at this thing and think about all that has been done by those that were involved in its development and I think "wow". I think it's just amazing that some people communicating on the internet pooled their skills, designed this, tested it, and distributed it, and now it's sitting in my hands. That's just too cool.

Now, once I've put it together, plugged it in, and it comes to life, I'm really going to be blown away!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this and made it so accessible. You rock!

Hi! I have several of the XT-IDE PCBs left. They are $12 each with $2 shipping in the US and $5 elsewhere. Please send a PayPal to LYNCHAJ@YAHOO.COM and I will send your boards right away!

Andrew Lynch

Alternatively, contact me.
i buy sets of 10 PCBs from Andrew and then source all the components in bulk and re-sell them to individuals. I need 8-10 interested parties before I order bulk parts, and I currently only have 1 person waiting in the queue. It could take another month or so before I get enough people lined up, but the prices are better and you don't get stuck with extra parts you don't need, as some of these items are only available in sets of 10, when you really only need 1.

I got my kits from hargle, and I highly recommend this method if you don't have much experience with PCBs, parts, ordering, etc.

As I'm learning with the N8VEM project, it's fairly easy to order the wrong parts (wrong pitch size, wrong type, etc) or to forget a part, and this is taken out of the equation by ordering the kit. And none of that is because of the N8VEM itself - it's all because now I need to order my own parts (if they offered a "parts" option for that project, I'd be tempted). That being said, though, I'm learning a lot about parts so there is that benefit! I'm glad, though, that the XTIDE was available as a kit.

Also, as hargle said, the price is great, you only get what you need, and there's another plus - the wiki instructions will match the parts exactly (which may not be if you order parts on your own that aren't an exact match) which is big for those totally new to this.

Either way, though, you can't go wrong. The XTIDE build was really smooth, and there's lots of people to help out on this site if you have questions.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Hi! I have exactly 10 XT-IDE PCBs left. We could organize another Hargle group buy and build if that's what the builders want. I can continue to send out these boards or some combination of both. It is OK with me either way.

The main benefit of the XT-IDE PCB to me is an introduction to home brew computing. There have been several builders who've gotten their start making their own XT-IDE board. Once you start, its a lot of fun and a great hobby!

Andrew Lynch

Hello,

New to this forum (was redirected here from another page after searching for information about XT IDE). Are these boards still available for purchase? Thanks.

-Chris Noyes

you are outta luck at the moment. we are out of stock and no more XTIDEs are on order. We are however working on XTIDE mkII, but we aren't even prototyping yet.
Shoot me a PM and I can drop you in the queue for when mkII comes about, but there is no ETA.

hargle -

Hmm, thought I was on the "waiting list" until you got enough people together to buy the parts for ten of the kits. Is this no longer the case?

<*> Jim

Yes and no.
Sorry for the lack of communication.
You and everyone else who has contacted me are still on the waiting list (there's about 12 people now), however, the rug got pulled out from underneath the project in that we ran out of stock several weeks back, and we were in the middle of the design and review phase of the next generation card. We decided to not go ahead and purchase any new PCBs/kits and focus on getting the next generation card out instead.

Prototypes for those cards were ordered on Friday, expected in a couple weeks. After a (hopefully short) build and debug session, we will hopefully be offering generation II cards in maybe 2 months.

I was going to announce this news to the waiting list today actually.

XTIDE mkII has the following features:
1) better performance; built in "chuck mod" (without impacting the eeprom, for those of you who have been following that topic)
2) 32k eeprom for lots of code expansion. This opens the door to allowing the onboard BIOS to take over high density floppy support. You'd still need a HD controller though. This also makes the XTIDE a more robust eeprom burner, since it can handle 8, 16 and 32k EEPROMs.
3) (optional) 16550 UART support. One of our XTIDE purchaser's home brewed support to allow the XTIDE to boot over a serial link, reading and writing from an image file located on a modern PC. So, using a USB to serial device on a modern PC, you can actually boot the machine with roughly the same performance as a stand alone HDD. This makes it extremely easy to back backups of your XT's hard drive, since it is simply a file sitting on your desktop machine!
4) onboard power connectors for CF devices and even a molex connector for 3.5" drives. There are some wattage requirements that your 3.5" drive has to be under though.

Those are the heavy hitters on the feature list, there are a few others.
I'm actually not really involved with the design or feature list on this one, so I'm just the middle man. I will be offering kits though, or finding a suitable replacement for my services. I'd really like to spend some hours working on CD-ROM support...

Hi!

I think now that the XT-IDE V2 redesign is more broadly known that the demand for the XT-IDE V1 will dry up completely. I think it makes sense to have let the XT-IDE V1 run its course and then have a short break for the PCB respin. It is how we do this for PCB respins on the N8VEM project too. Who is going to want the older board once they know a redesigned PCB is going to be available soon? It's human nature.

Andrew Lynch

Last edited:
So the address lines for the port selection will be swapped in Mk 2, but not the address lines on the EPROM/EEPROM socket? Excellent...while hacking my way around the problems that swapping the EPROM address lines presented was fun and educational, I'd imagine it's annoying to most people.

Who is going to want the older board once they know a redesigned PCB is going to be available soon? It's human nature.

Heh...

For me, I'm definitely in for at least a single v2 board (I've no plans to stop using my v1 boards since they already work!). I would still be interested in a v1 board, as I over-ordered parts and have all the solder-on equipment for one - but eh. Parts bin, I guess - and that's ok too!

Thanks for the info, guys - and of course, thanks for all the effort and planning it took(takes) to do these projects!

I've got 2 unused bare Rev.01 boards I'd sell & ship for what I paid, $14 each shipped it looks like.

Also, I'd trade one for an adapter to use PS2,AT or USB keyboard with my 5150 :D

Back