• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

The Vintage Computer and Gaming Marketplace

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
Just an FYI. We just hit 1,000 registered users at The Marketplace.

That's 1,000 potential customers if you're trying to sell something.

Really, since there are far more lurkers than registered users, it's a whole lot more than that.

And items do get posted and sold. Sometimes before y'all even see 'em.

For instance, there are two new items today: A CompuPro 8/16 system with drives and terminal and a boxed Osborne 1.

The selling price for these? A dime plus shipping...

Well, the CompuPro 8/16 is gone now :)

The VC Marketplace is definitely worth keeping an eye on though -- I picked up my first S-100 SRAM board there (from Erik actually -- still use it today!) for a very reasonable price. Like Mike B., I'll be clearning out some workshop clutter soon, and a lot of that will likely get listed to the VC Marketplace.

And while there's vintage (used) stuff on the marketplace, there's also some really neat new stuff there too. Like brand spanking new cork pads for the IBM 5150, 5160 and Keyboards. :)

My one problem with the marketplace is finding stuff. Either anything I look for isn't there or I am doing something wrong ;)

Although I have stuff listed on the VCM I did not sell anything there last week unfortunately. On eBay I sold 3 items last week. So far eBay is still performing better. :(

Erik,

What's your take on selling items on the Vintage Computer and Game Marketplace that are obsolete, but not quite vintage? For example, I have some parts that I salvaged out of a damaged PowerMac 8100. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to list them there or not.

What's your take on selling items on the Vintage Computer and Game Marketplace that are obsolete, but not quite vintage? For example, I have some parts that I salvaged out of a damaged PowerMac 8100. I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to list them there or not.

Well, the PowerMac's were mid-1990s units so, following the 10 year rule, they are eligible. Of course purists will insist that they aren't vintage and, while I'd be inclined to agree with them, I'd also be inclined to allow those parts on The Marketplace.

What could go wrong? :)

Back