• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 for FDD 5 1/4"ers?

EverythingIBM

Experienced Member
So, I've decided to get a dedicated computer to handle my 5 1/4" floppy disks. Or maybe that's an excuse to get a PS/2 comp since I've become entranced with them of late.

Is it possible to use standard connectors and what have you with an IBM PS/2?

I know there are varying models (MANY!), I was thinking something along the lines of a model 80 tower. A tower would be better for the drives, hey?

Will this plan be achievable?

It'll (presumably) become a cascading wormhole, seeing as I've never dealt with PS/2 computers before... but, since I ended up liking them so much for some unknown reason; I'm willing to deal with it!
One issue will be software... I don't have any even if I manage to get one.
But I'd like to be prepared for this in case I go with it ;)

So, I've decided to get a dedicated computer to handle my 5 1/4" floppy disks. . . .
One issue will be software... I don't have any even if I manage to get one.
But I'd like to be prepared for this in case I go with it ;)

You don't need any particular box, brand, or model, of computer to handle 5 1/4" diskettes and act as a "tweener", but it sounds like you have your personal preference, so go for it. :)

Regarding software, you can get more than you'll ever need for free right here. Any DOS will do, PC, Caldera, FreeDOS, MS, etc, and AFAIK they'll all run on a PS/2. Unless you want the machine to be stock or vintage (in which case it's definitely inappropriate) MS-6.22 might be a good plan - interlnk/intersver is very handy.

Of all the IBM systems you could choose to connect a 5.25" floppy drive to, isn't the PS/2 series the most complicated one to do it with (on account of them all using that combined data+power cable)?

There were several options for 5¼ inch drives for the PS/2; some direct-connect to the planar controller; there were also several controllers for external/internal drives, such as the Diskette Adapter/A.

If you manage to find one of the add-in MCA controllers, don't expect much to support it.

Of all the IBM systems you could choose to connect a 5.25" floppy drive to, isn't the PS/2 series the most complicated one to do it with (on account of them all using that combined data+power cable)?

I was worried about this, as, I've never really seen PS/2 computers loaded with a 5 1/4 drive.

There were several options for 5¼ inch drives for the PS/2; some direct-connect to the planar controller; there were also several controllers for external/internal drives, such as the Diskette Adapter/A.

If you manage to find one of the add-in MCA controllers, don't expect much to support it.

So I have a question, are there any PS/2s that support onboard 5 1/4 drives?

So I have a question, are there any PS/2s that support onboard 5 1/4 drives?

I am fairly certain that the Model 60 and Model 80 (probably most other big towers) could have the front HD bay opened up and 5 1/4" drive inserted in its place. Later models could have 5 1/4" floppy mounted instead of a CD drive. I don't know if anyone actually did that since other options were more useful.

Oh, certainly, some models can physically fit a 5.25" drive (be it CD or floppy)...but keep in mind most PS/2s used drive 'sleds' so without one, it'll just sit loose.

The concern I was voicing is more about actual connectivity.

The concern I was voicing is more about actual connectivity.

At least on the early MCS PS/2s, the 3.5" floppy drives were completely proprietary: there are no cables to connect or BIOS options to select. The data/power sockets are on little circuit boards bolted to the case, so when you snap a drive into its bay, it is connected, and then the system automatically detects whether you have a drive installed in that bay or not. So there is no way to adapt a 5.25" drive to work with the onboard controller. If you wanted a 5.25" drive, IBM sold you an external one with a matching controller card. The large towers (Models 60, 65SX, 80, etc.) did have space for a 5.25" to be mounted internally (taking the space of where the second hard drive would go), but this required special hardware, and I think it also needed an MCA controller card.

I vaguely remember that some third party had a cable/circuit board adapter to allow a normal floppy disk drive including 5 1/4 drives to connect to the built-in PS/2 floppy connector. But I can't find a clear reference to such online.

IBM preferred the seperate adapter card which they tried to restrict to only working with 5 1/4 drives. http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/floppy/5_25-Floppy.html

Oh, just to add, there is a web page offering to sell the specialized parts needed for mounting drives in a PS/2. http://www.pssolution.com/ibm_frame.html

Last edited:
Back