• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Ektagraphic AF-2 keeps jamming

NeXT

Veteran Member
I picked up an AF-2 at a sale and it's in fantastic shape and everything (even came in the original box) but it jeeps jamming and has other mechanical issues.
more than often it will jam (not the carousel but the projector itself) and I'll have to fiddle with the buttons to free it. The other two problems is that I can not reliably go backwards (it will either go forwards instead or pop the slide out, then back in as if it expected itself to of moved) and the door that sits between the slide and the lenses and opens when there is a slide in place will not fully open so you'll end up seeing half if not less of the slide.
I cracked it open and nothing seemed bent out of shape or poorly lubricated (but of course, I have no way to know when it was last lubricated and if that would even fix the problem).
I'm a bit puzzled as to what might be going funny here. Anyone a bit more experienced in servicing ektagraphic projectors?

The lube used in the projector mechanism will harden over the years and cause the slide mechanism to jam or stick. Once that happened, one of the plastic gears on the one I used to have broke and then the carrousel would not advance. I would recommend taking it apart and cleaning all the old lube out and checking the gears. There are still repair kits listed on ebay and other websites for these projectors but they can be a little pricey.

Back