• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Pet label page

Some Philistine peeled the sticker off the front of my 8032. If I ever get the machine working I may need to see if I can get a replica label printed up. It's good to know I'll have so many choices when it comes the exact look. ;^)

As it happens, one of mine isn't in your list:

PETlabel.JPG

Note that although it says CBM 2001 Professional it has a graphics keyboard.

Yes, I have it. It's the 5th and 6th on the list. One is label the other is bezel, unless i'm missing something. Not concerned about keyboards here.

Steve

Yes, I have it. It's the 5th and 6th on the list. One is label the other is bezel, unless i'm missing something. Not concerned about keyboards here.

#5 and #6 say "PET" in the large letters over "2001 Series". MikeS' says "CBM". I don't see that combination on your list.

Was there *any* rhyme or reason to whether the right side of the sticker/bezel said "Personal Computer", "Professional Computer", or just "Computer"? The majority of the chicklet-keyboard PETs I've seen pictures of say "Personal Computer", but a minority (including the one I picked up recently) say "Professional". Clearly "Professional" doesn't mean "business keyboard"...

#5 and #6 say "PET" in the large letters over "2001 Series". MikeS' says "CBM". I don't see that combination on your list.

Was there *any* rhyme or reason to whether the right side of the sticker/bezel said "Personal Computer", "Professional Computer", or just "Computer"? The majority of the chicklet-keyboard PETs I've seen pictures of say "Personal Computer", but a minority (including the one I picked up recently) say "Professional". Clearly "Professional" doesn't mean "business keyboard"...

I would say "Professional" was used to distinguish the 2001 series with "real" keyboard from the old chicklet version. After the 2001/3001 models they went with just "Computer".

Steve

I would say "Professional" was used to distinguish the 2001 series with "real" keyboard from the old chicklet version.

I don't have the "professional chicklet" in my possession anymore so I can't take a picture of it but here's an example of a matching one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loguidice/743762219/

(Well, not quite matching. That appears to have a raised bezel around the label, the one I picked up just had a sticker.)

I don't have the "professional chicklet" in my possession anymore so I can't take a picture of it but here's an example of a matching one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loguidice/743762219/

(Well, not quite matching. That appears to have a raised bezel around the label, the one I picked up just had a sticker.)

Interesting. The thing with the bezel is that it's removable, so someone could have swapped it. We may never know exactly what combinations came from the factory. When compiling these pics I was amazed at the variations I never knew existed. I have added Mike's label, plus one from a third-party re-badged pet. I should also add the one from the german company with internal drive...

Steve

Last edited:
Some Philistine peeled the sticker off the front of my 8032. If I ever get the machine working I may need to see if I can get a replica label printed up. It's good to know I'll have so many choices when it comes the exact look. ;^)

If you find a place that can re-produce the labels let me know. But you'll have to change the little "TM" after the PET or CBM to "TX" (trademark expired! lol) so as not to confuse with the "real thing"!

Steve

Interesting. The thing with the bezel is that it's removable, so someone could have swapped it...

It seems that "Professional" mixed with a chicklet keyboard is just a little too common to be a "User Frankenstein". I haven't polled scientifically but it seems like... I dunno, about one in 15 or so of the pictures online of a Chicklet PET say "Professional" there. Like the black-framed one at oldcomputers.net:

http://oldcomputers.net/pet2001.html

And that one *is* a sticker, not a bezel, making it the twin of the one I picked up. I'd love to know if it has a Dynamic Pet motherboard in it. ;^)

One sort of gets the feeling that Commodore ordered non-critical parts like stickers in batches (With the exact specs of the part based on the marketing whim of the week), threw the boxes on top of each other adjacent to the factory floor when they arrived, and then the workers just snagged things like nameplates from whatever box was on top and pasted them on at will. Perhaps at some point around the time they introduced the new keyboard but still had stock of the old case some marketing genius decided they needed to sell "Professional" computers instead of personal ones? And then they ran out of "Personal" stickers before they ran out of chicklets...

That's a tough one... Commodore's marketing has never been the best, so I'd tend to say no... only real pet/cbm machines. Otherwise, I should just expand it to all Commodore labels.

Steve
Boy, tough crowd; it looks like a PET, it's called a PET, it's just got a different keyboard and motherboard; just like an 8032 vs. a 2001 ;-)

You can put a Porsche logo on a bicycle but it doesn't make it a Porsche... Mike, you should know a keyboard doesn't define a computer series, the architecture (memory map, CPU, firmware) does... I know you're putting me on.. ;-)

Steve

You can put a Porsche logo on a bicycle but it doesn't make it a Porsche...
Sure, a Porsche bicycle!
Mike, you should know a keyboard doesn't define a computer series, the architecture (memory map, CPU, firmware) does... I know you're putting me on.. ;-)
Well, yeah, playing the devil's advocate.

But FWIW I would include it. Same case, PET name, architecture not totally different than, say, an 8296, just another upgrade IMHO; sort of like Porsche building a model with a VW engine in it. Like much in life, depends on your criteria.

Nice collection though, even without the PET64.

Well, maybe you know Datatronic (Sweden) and possibly also the German reseller of Commodore marketed the CBM 700 series as PET 700 for some time. I've seen label variations such as PET 700, PET 700/128K and probably also CBM 700. Those are just as little PET related as the PET 64 is, but happened to be marketed under the "PET" monicker since it was an established brand name.

Well, maybe you know Datatronic (Sweden) and possibly also the German reseller of Commodore marketed the CBM 700 series as PET 700 for some time. I've seen label variations such as PET 700, PET 700/128K and probably also CBM 700. Those are just as little PET related as the PET 64 is, but happened to be marketed under the "PET" monicker since it was an established brand name.

I have already started collecting pictures of CBM-II labels for my CBM-II page, so I can include those where appropriate. If you can find pics or links I'll collect them for later. I have also started collecting pics of the serial# labels and all the commodore keyboards for future pages...

Steve

Back