• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM Model 30's Keyboard?

NeeGo

Does anyone know the model, particularly the part number, of the keyboard that originally came with the IBM Model 30?

My 30 has an apparently original keyboard with Part No. 1391401. It seems identical to all other PS/2s I've seen, and is the same the same part no. as for my 50 and 50Z. I don't know how to find a model number.

Specifically, it varies by the location the machine was sold.

Generally speaking, the 101-key 1391401 is the safe choice for authenticity for all PS/2 models - but not all submodels, as the submodel often dictates what keyboard it shipped with. There were also numpadless ('tenkeyless') versions, and some more specialized boards for assorted terminal emulation/replacement packages.

The last few digits of IBM keyboard part numbers varies for different regions/language keycap sets and layouts. I believe, for example, 1391406 is the UK layout version.

A couple years after Lexmark took over US manufacturing (they did this in 90-91, off the top of my head, but labels didn't reflect it across all keyboards until a few years later) the part numbers took a format change and some changes...some of these are still 'authentic enough' due to the case being largely unchanged, IBM logo and distinctive click, though.

(as an aside: the 1391401 is what is generally known as the 'Model M', though this is misleading, since the M is not actually a model designation at all...it corresponds more to the switching mechanism within the keyboard...but that's a whole different thing)

Last edited:
Back