• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need some help with interpreting octal code

yea i can rescan the plastic card after i clean the dirt off for yea got a better scanner now since i scanned that

when i get home from work i'll dig around and see if i got anoter proper card seem to remember finding something like what was post on the first page

also i got a dec course booklet of some sort that covers this stuff i think

yea i can rescan the plastic card after i clean the dirt off for yea got a better scanner now since i scanned that

when i get home from work i'll dig around and see if i got anoter proper card seem to remember finding something like what was post on the first page

also i got a dec course booklet of some sort that covers this stuff i think

All three of those suggestions sound great.

What's really needed around here is a small book intended for advanced programmers who already know how to use higher level languages, but just aren't familiar with the PDP-11 instruction set or processor architecture particulars. I honestly can't recall seeing one.

Maybe this thread will get enough attention that one will come to light, thanks to guys like you.

not sure how this got to be ruff been sitting on a self untuched forever
pdp11.jpg

and hows one make a pdf

Most of the scanner software does it directly. Look in there first.

What kind of scanner do you have? Maybe I can look up the manual and give you some pointers?

epson 4490

bought it for scaning my 120 film i shoot

section A has been scanned now for B

Guess you sound your way to the PDF output option...??

Very cool... love to see what you end up with.

uploaded them as pdf's :S?

DUH!... sorry, I missed that. Thank you very much for going to all that trouble 1ajs.

Ok, I downloaded and looked it over... and at the risk of sounding unappreciative of all your fine efforts, it's not what I'd hoped for.

:hide:

You guys will need to decide, but for example, there isn't a single opcode listed in the whole thing. [you'd still need a Programming Card] No mention is made of compiling, loading and running your programs. It does reference the PDP-11/20 Processor Handbook and The PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Programming Handbook, :lookroun: both good DEC references.

Another point is it seems to assume a knowledge of the PDP-11 Architecture on the student's part from these other documents or perhaps a lecture. Yes, there is a general verbal description, but that's just not the same thing.

Once again, like others, this workbook assumes the student is being taught programming, and that the PDP-11 happens to be his first machine.

It's not intended for an individual who simply requires the Architecture, Instructions, Addressing Modes, Opcodes and Syntax, but already knows programmatic structure and habits. [Maybe the PDP-11/20 Handbook is closest to that]

I found a copy of "Assembly Language Programming for PDP-11 and LSI-11 Computers - Edouard J. Desautels" in my collection. It takes 0ver 500 pages to end up falling short too. At least it has a copy of the Programming Card information in an appendix, which is the only place Opcodes are found or mentioned. On the positive side, it does cover Interrupts pretty well, and other topics like Disk I/O to a degree. But it's answer section doesn't even have traditional "Program Listings" with Opcode next to the instructions that produced them. Instead, they are at the end of some examples, without related Mnemonics.

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice book, but an experienced programmer needs a more concise reference and a few examples. They don't need to wade through an otherwise irrelevant tome for students needing to get their feet wet on topics like "binary numbers" and "Who is a register and what's he doing in my computer??"

Yeah... I'm being harsh I guess. But you guys need to be able to work with hardware... To sit in front of your machines and toggle in a few words of routines to check things out and get them to the point of bootability. You need to be able to "think in opcode".

So far I can't recall anything quite like that in a book. A good programming card, and a program listing with a few examples of the use of every instruction with comments would do more for you than anything I've seen yet.

least it got scaned and u had a look over it ... better to know then not know

would any of my heathkit manuals cover this stuff?

Based on my experiences with Heathkit, I would say probably so, but never having had an H11 kit specifically, I cannot be certain. That said, the full manual set for an H11 [including schematics] would be a great asset to anyone wanting to revive one.

Did you say you might have a DEC programming card too?
It's not plastic, like I understood you to say the H11 one is. [which would be good too] It's a color card, about 7"x3.25" when folded, between 10 and 12 panels double sided. There were about 6 different PDP-11 editions / versions over time. [from 1975 to 1991]

Some versions included toggle in bootstrap programs for various DEC devices, disks, mag tape, paper tape etc. I recall having two cards specifically... One [the earlier] was more specific to the PDP-11/70 UNIBUS machine I was working on, and another later one was 11/23 era, with an RL bootstrap which disappeared from future versions.
After a good Programming card...

Once again, after reviewing several other possibilities, I still advocate the original Digital Equipment Corporation PDP-11 Manual, 1969 for you Bill. It's even got specifics on programming it for an ASR33 using the switch console.

Also, the PDP-11/20 Processor Handbook has clearer instruction by instruction explanations. Use it as an instruction reference. Once you're going, the PDP-11 Paper Tape Software Programming Handbook will be invaluable, as it includes details on using Paper Tape loaders, Absolute loaders and that era operations you're headed to with your ASR33.

That must be 1000 pages of stuff, but fortunately you don't read it all serially like a novel. Hopefully a more concise path would emerge in the coming days. We'll keep looking.

yes i did say i have one stumbled upone it a while back not sure where i put it though but did find a rsx11m+ manual and wth theres not heathkit manuals on bit savers wth?

go on a asr trype out aplphabit and numbers to start with reminds me i beleave i have a chart in my pdp8a users manual for octal conversion

Last edited:
yes i did say i have one stumbled upone it a while back not sure where i put it though...

Suckers have legs... I tell ya.

but did find a rsx11m+ manual

If you found this with the H11, it's curious because that OS shouldn't run on that machine. [Perhaps someone upgraded the original LSI-11 CPU to an PDP-11/23 or above?]

Which manual is it?... the full set is 8 or more 8.5x11x3 binders. Not that I'm in the market, just curious.

wth theres not heathkit manuals on bit savers wth?

I guess this is your big chance? ... just kidding.

Hard to believe in this day, but many sites out there are selling Heathkit manuals. Go figure.

Not sure if anyone is still on this thread looking for toggle in assembly help, but I re-located a site that could be of help.

It's got a Dead PDP-11 Troubleshooting section that includes example toggle in programs to help you isolate issues with your machines.

The whole site is actually pretty practical, [old school] so you might want to have a look.

Back