• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Duke Nukem Forever

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
Door bell rang a little while ago and it was UPS with a small box from Amazon. Opened it up and there was a gift wrapped DVD with a 'Happy Father's Day' tag on it. Turned out its was Duke Nukem Forever. Just got it loaded and looks pretty good so far. Wouldn't advise play if there are little ones around - pretty salty language and very explicit graphic content, just what you would expect.

Maximum PC said in the June issue that there were more problems with the final release and that there was no firm ship date. Evidently they got it worked out.

I'll hang a report when I run it a few times and figure out where everything is at.

Interesting, my father would be the last person that I would give DNF to. In fact, I love him more than that.

I dunno, I love to get DNF forever as a gift if I didn't have it already. Some abused it rating wise, forgetting its an older style level design. So far i'm enjoying it, but I'll agree it feels a bit rushed out the door. Nonetheless, not everyday a game is released with a history like Duke.

To me seems like a great present! Shows how well they know him. Evidently he loves vintage computing otherwise he would not be here... :)

It's got a lot of flaws in game design, but the humor and feel are there. If you can look past the flaws it's a better shooter than the average one released today, but some parts of the game can be frustrating as all hell in their repetition or difficulty.

Interesting. Wonder how that looks? I still have my shutter glasses somewhere, not sure what system has the card though (maybe my 486 still has it in there). Kinda crude technology (just alternates blacking out right or left lens and the game alternates the picture). Worked pretty well actually to make things like Descent look pretty wicked. You definitely felt like you could peek over the corner before moving your ship. Weird pricing. Everyone has it for I guess the regular $150 though looks like PNY has pretty much identical stuff for $300-400 if you want to pretend like you're getting a deal. Supposedly they're stereoscopic which I think technically is the same as theaters although from my recollection of trying to get an IMAX stereoscopic movie to work at home (never did) there are dozens of versions on how it can chop the video.

I played the original when it was first out, thought it was a pretty fair game at the time. This one is OK, and only OK. The good: it was a true replication of the original game in content and commentary. The graphics were pretty good on the newer version but not on par with some of the games out now. The bad: A bit too juvenile, (maybe I'm older). Not really much strategy or challenge. The price (49.99?) come on, this is a 29.99 game or less.
I'd recommend spending the money on Crysis2 or Left4dead2, both are better than Duke.

Kipp

Old thread, I know but just figured I'd point out DNF is "coming to a bargain bin near you" soon. Pretty consistently stores (online and several local) are pricing it at $9.99 for console and it's varied between $9.99 and 19.99 for PC. Pretty soon it should be $7 or $5 at our half price bookstore I imagine.

I played some of the demo, sorta vulgar and disappointing but it's still probably selling primarily as a collectors item at this point. I mean, who is ever gonna beat it at vaporware awards.

Back