• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Gateway 2000 4DX2-66V 486DX2-66MHz Vesa Local Bus Tower w/CD-ROM, SB32, Mach32 (eBay)

SiliconClassics

Experienced Member
Finally parting with the Gateway 2000 system I reviewed on YouTube a few weeks ago. It's up on eBay here - and you can see it in action on YouTube here. Please message me with any questions. International shipping is available, and I accept Paypal, personal checks, and money orders.

NOTE: The 17" Gateway 2000 Vivitron monitor shown below is available for the cost of shipping.

gateway1.jpg

gateway2.jpg

gateway3.jpg

gateway4.jpg

gateway5.jpg

gateway6.jpg

gateway7.jpg

gateway8.jpg

gateway9.jpg

gateway10.jpg

gateway11.jpg

If I had the money I would buy it in a heart beat. Its a very nice late model 486.

Tell me, the RAM chip at the top of the motherboard (the one that is sitting there by itself) what is that? Cache?

Yes, that RAM stick is the L2 cache, 64KB in this case. It can be upgraded to 256KB if you can track down the right part.

I feel a bit sad letting the Gateway go - hope it finds a good home. It really is an impressive piece of hardware.

It is interesting to see that a 486 fatches that kind of money. :D

It is interesting to see that a 486 fatches that kind of money. :D

It sure is. I had to pass along a machine much like this about eighteen months ago. Took a week to find someone to take it for free. DX2/66 whitebox with VLB bussage and multimedia snazz. Just needed a VLB multi /io board and about a gallon of unyellowing solution.

Wow! Looks like it's time to build up old 486 systems again!

Don't know who's paying that kind of money for a 486, but if they're willing to buy, might as well sell!

Wow! Looks like it's time to build up old 486 systems again!

Don't know who's paying that kind of money for a 486, but if they're willing to buy, might as well sell!

Mind you: I have been trying to sell IBM ValuePoint 486 systems but those have not sold in months. :D I am not so sure this sale is the standard.

Just did a quick Google on "Gateway 2000" for Craigslist and Gateway 2000 486 systems appear to pop up once in a while.

Last edited:
Collectors are picky, there are some specific brands and specific models by those brands that people will pay for while avoiding models they don't like. A generic 486 will not sell for anywhere near that $375. Gateway 2000 around the 486 era was the brand to lust over, especially the 486/66 models (one which I have been actively looking for for years, but at a much lower price). A 486/66 VLB is a very wanted DOS Game machine.

I don't think IBMs Valuepoint (low cost entry level) machines are in much demand. The rule of thumb for collectors (outside of rarities) is anything people lusted after new they will lust after 20 years down the road.

I don't think IBMs Valuepoint (low cost entry level) machines are in much demand. The rule of thumb for collectors (outside of rarities) is anything people lusted after new they will lust after 20 years down the road.

Fair enough. Even though I prefer IBM ValuePoint over most IBM PS/2 models since they have generic components (e.g. ISA, 72 pin SIMM RAM, replaceable batteries). I am also not a collector: I just like playing vintage games.

Last edited:
Yes, I have one too !

Great machines - worked mine very hard !!!

My wife has the previous version - again worked very hard.

Will be interested in what the final sale price is - may want to go thru all the issues with getting ours "to a good home also !"

Frank

Well, I'm pretty happy with the closing price, though I did sell a similar Gateway 486 tower (the newer, shorter 4DX2-66V case design shown in the video) for $500 a few months ago. Plus the buyer is in Hawaii so I might lose a few dollars on shipping. Now for the arduous task of packing this 40-pound monster!

Nice post, and awesome youtube video!

I have the same rig, only the slightly shorter tower without the overdrive socket.

Here is my 486dx2's setup:
- 16 MB RAM (trying to make more RAM recognize)
- ISA HD Controller Card
- (2) 4GB Seagate hard drives
- Soundblaster 16
- New Sony CD drive
- New Sony DVD drive (for data and audio dvds)
- New PSU, and fans replaced (super quiet now)

OS Installed:
1) Dos 6.22, with only 51kb of conventional memory used (looking for ways to lower that)
2) Windows for Workgroups 3.11, with Win95 GUI mod
3) Breadbox Ensemble 4.1.2 (nice internet and office apps)

Other:
- I got about 40+ DOS games and growing, adding them to a menu launcher that boots with the system.
- Got a few gigs of wave audio on it also , use it as a jukebox

Ok, so thats my system :D
but I need help with something...

I have extra 72pin memory (32MB worth) that should work in it but when I put it in, it only recognizes 16MB of it. I tried 2 different sets of memory (edo and fastpage), and the same thing happens. Since you guys have this same model, can you help me out? Is there a bios setting that needs to be changed? Or is it just picky about memory?

Who knew that these were so popular. I have a 4DX2-66E, not V, but close. I wish mine had the power and turbo controls on the top, not in the middle.

OS Installed:
1) Dos 6.22, with only 51kb of conventional memory used (looking for ways to lower that)
2) Windows for Workgroups 3.11, with Win95 GUI mod
3) Breadbox Ensemble 4.1.2 (nice internet and office apps)
Calmira is the 95 face lift for wfw 3.11 I gather. How do you find BB En 4.1.2?

Nice post, and awesome youtube video!
Since you guys have this same model, can you help me out? Is there a bios setting that needs to be changed? Or is it just picky about memory?

Thanks! If I remember correctly, there is a blue DIP switch block on the motherboard that sets the amount of RAM (on the large tower at least, not sure about the shorter version). I don't have the configuration info anymore (it was in the user's manual that I sold with the system) but you might be able to find it via an old USENET search on Google Groups.

BTW, A 486-66 doesn't really need more than 16MB of RAM. Most DOS games don't use more than 3 or 4MB, and with 32MB or more some older games might not run at all. Personally I'd stick with 16MB.

Back