• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Yellowing Alert: New workshop has windows

NeXT

Veteran Member
I'm starting to load gear into my workshop now but I'm concerned about what the sun is going to do to some of the gear.
All but one of the walls is nothing but windows from the chest up that only get direct sunlight in the morning and the afternoon. I'm concerned about my systems like my Rainbow and my VT-100 as if I put them on the desk or shelves they'll have their backs to the windows and the sunlight and I want to try and control the speed at which my stuff will yellow without using curtains to diffuse the light but block my view of the mountains.

Is there a cheap way one could confirm the efficiency of UV protection? I guess there are cheap UV detectors, or could one of those solar powered spin kits maybe not work if it doesn't get UV?

UV rays come in specific bands, different materials block different frequencies (and some light that is not even in the UV range).

Find some cheap material and install it. Find a cheap book you don't want anymore (paperback will do, cheap non acid free paper) and rip a page out of the book (mark the location) and tape it to the window facing the light. After a month or so check the paper for yellowing compared to the original book.

I keep my collection in the basement. There is direct sunlight during the morning coming in from one window but quite a bit is blocked from the trees out back and since I am using glass block windows the amount of light (intensity) is not super bright. I have items setup and running for a decade with no yellowing down there. Any material that gets direct intense light every day will fade or yellow with time. The heat of the sunlight itself will speed up the process.

If you wanted to clear coat whatever was sitting in the sunlight, I've used this on black car trim with great results. Did it 3 years ago to the black door pillars on my mustang, as well as the plastic/rubber moldings and headlight lenses. Still look like new, with no yellowing/browning or fading. Before they would brown in months...

Perhaps it work on what you own?

Krylon® UV-Resistant Clear Gloss Spray
http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-Spray-Paints-UV-Resistant-Aerosol/dp/B00397STRW

Once I get my mac classic retrobrited, I'm going to give it a nice fine coat of it myself. Used it on a few other things as well, like my white lawn chairs. Still look as good as when I purchased them. I recommend semi-gloss over the full gloss. Comes in both.

Back