• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Nec pc-8201 basic rom

curtis

Veteran Member
Just picked up a silver/gray 8201. When I opened it up, found a non-functional custom telcom ROM in place of the standard BASIC/OS ROM.

Without the BASIC/OS ROM unit is essentially a place to store batteries and RAM modules!

Does anyone have an 8201 or 8201A that is a donor machine that I could acquire the BASIC/OS ROM?

All reasonable offers considered as otherwise I'll have to try ebay.

Thanks,

Curtis

I have found my PC-8201A. It has the N82 BASIC on ROM which I will have a go at extracting. Do you have the facility to burn EPROMS?

Last edited:
Sorry to say, I don't have EPROM burner capability. Have thought about it over the years, but usually, I have 1 job to do, then would just let it collect dust until the next time (usually about 5 years between needs!).

I would really appreciate it if you can extract and burn a copy for me.

I have found my PC-8201A. It has the N82 BASIC on ROM which I will have a go at extracting. Do you have the facility to burn EPROMS?

Sorry to say, I don't have EPROM burner capability. Have thought about it over the years, but usually, I have 1 job to do, then would just let it collect dust until the next time (usually about 5 years between needs!).

I would really appreciate it if you can extract and burn a copy for me.
I'm a little surprised that no one closer to you has offered to help; why not make a separate thread just asking if someone can burn a 27C256 EPROM for you, since not everyone will be reading this thread.

Our Post Office up here is on strike right now, but if no one else steps up in the meantime send me a PM in a week or so to remind me.

Last edited:
Nobody has offered so far.

It's only a small envelope at the end of the day. Plus, we can compare checksums!

-----

Sucessfully read the ROM (checksum is DD86) and burned to a 27C256A. Booted to confirm all working.

Last edited:
Yeah 1983/01/01 00:00:00 (C) Microsoft #1

So, I now have 2 EPROMs programmed with the N82 BASIC / Firmware. Who wants them?

I'm sure a lot of us "closer" folks would help but don't have functioning eeprom burners. I'd love to get one or get mine working but similarly the budget cost vs actual use scenarios is pretty poor for myself. Don't suppose any of the museums around might offer that as a service? (well perhaps not the museum but some of the curators)

I'm sure a lot of us "closer" folks would help but don't have functioning eeprom burners. I'd love to get one or get mine working but similarly the budget cost vs actual use scenarios is pretty poor for myself. Don't suppose any of the museums around might offer that as a service? (well perhaps not the museum but some of the curators)
I'd gladly do it but as I said, we've had a mail strike here for the last few weeks. I think there are other folks on here who'd also be glad to do it but they're probably not reading this thread.

Mind you, we haven't heard any more from Curtis even though he's posted in other threads in the meantime, so maybe he's not interested any longer.

Now that I know how to use an EPROM burner, I would have been happy to do it too. New Zealand is even further away than the rest of you though!

Tez

Oh goody! One step closer to resurrecting this 8201!

Nobody has offered so far.

It's only a small envelope at the end of the day. Plus, we can compare checksums!

-----

Sucessfully read the ROM (checksum is DD86) and burned to a 27C256A. Booted to confirm all working.

It's sorted... I will stick an EPROM in the mail.

Surpised that people seem to really have a hard time justifying getting a burner. I've got about four of them, including an ancient on that can do 1702s and they weren't expensive - $30 at the most and two of them were picked up at hamfests for a couple of $. I would say they are an essential part of a restorer's toolkit.

A public thank you to donutty!

Got the ROM he burned for me in yesterday. Dropped it in place, installed batteries and it fired right up!

Now to clean it up and see what it looks like on the shelf.

Curtis

It's sorted... I will stick an EPROM in the mail.

Surpised that people seem to really have a hard time justifying getting a burner. I've got about four of them, including an ancient on that can do 1702s and they weren't expensive - $30 at the most and two of them were picked up at hamfests for a couple of $. I would say they are an essential part of a restorer's toolkit.

Back