• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gateway 4dx2-66 desktop

irishmike

Experienced Member
I just acquired a GW2K 4DX2-66 Desktop yesterday. I know it needs a new Dallas RTC chip which it appears that the number in this machine is actually still made. Just FYI, a company called Matrix now owns Dallas Semiconductor and they still make a few of the old RTC chips.

I know there is a mod out there, but I really don't want to take all that trouble when the replacement (not old/new stock, but made this year) is only $17 through my local Batteries Plus store.

The real question I have is there a manual for the machine out there someplace? I specifically need to find out what is the jumper (and where it physically is) to disable the onboard video so I can put in a little better video card.

Thanks for any leads and would love the manual if someone has one and would make a PDF.

All help is appreciated!

Mike

I just acquired a GW2K 4DX2-66 Desktop yesterday. I know it needs a new Dallas RTC chip which it appears that the number in this machine is actually still made. Just FYI, a company called Matrix now owns Dallas Semiconductor and they still make a few of the old RTC chips.

Um, Mike, it's "Maxim" and they've owned Dallas for about a decade..

Maxim no longer makes the DS1287, which I suspect your system uses. They do offer the DS12887, which will probably work (although there is an outside chance that it won't).

The Gateway 2000 486DX2-66 was fairly common, so it's a pretty good bet there's a manual out there somewhere.

This has been discussed many times on this forum. AFAIK, all of the DS1287 chips for sale are NOS. For most chips, this wouldn't be a problem, but the DS1287 with its internal battery has a shelf life.

So, before you decide to purchase a DS1287 from anyone, including the good folks at Jameco, inquire as to the date code on the chip and then make your decision based on the datasheet estimate of a 10 year working life.

So, before you decide to purchase a DS1287 from anyone, including the good folks at Jameco, inquire as to the date code on the chip and then make your decision based on the datasheet estimate of a 10 year working life.
I just bought mine so I could perform the rework on them and replace the dead batteries in my older PCs.

This is my machine. It simply says that it is a 4DX2-66 and has a manufacture date of 1996. I have included an image here for two reasons: 1) so we can determine whether it might have the 12887, I have not yet looked at the physical chip and I am also still trying to find out where the jumper physically is to disable the onboard video too so I can install one of my other vid cards. I do know that my motherboard has 3 PCI slots on it as well as I think 4 16 bit ISA.

Reason 2) I need to find a bay cover for the 3.5 slot that currently has the floppy, I am replacing it with an FD-505 dual floppy which will live in the first 5.25 bay. So I am hoping someone has the right cover as IIRC, gateway used this case a lot.

20110629203041.jpg

Hope someone can help, I can pay postage for the cover or something.

Thanks all for all the help.

And still looking for manual if possible.

Mike

Last edited:
Hmmmm...., apparently there's more versions of the 4DX2-66 line than I thought. My 4DX2-66E is a tower. I also have one that looks exactly like the pictured one, only it is a P5-100. It has a button battery.

I've never seen one of those things with onboard video... The ones I remember seeing all had PCI video cards.

But, Gateway used this case on a LOT of different machines.

What does the motherboard look like? Post a picture of the insides.

-Ian

I have a Gateway Gateway 2000 433/SX that I had trouble finding info on the motherboard. The only markings it had was the number 612194-004. Turns out it was an Intel Classic R board.

Maybe this guide will help in identifying your board.

http://pcnineoneone.com/howto/moboid1/

If you can list any markings on the board here, we could help finding what you need. Good pictures of the board would help also.

My wife had a similar one, I had the tower.

A picture of the back and the mainboard would help.

Good luck !

One did recently sell at a ????price - always difficult to describe a price.

Do a search on this site.

But if both parties are happy - life is good !

Frank

I have a Gateway Gateway 2000 433/SX that I had trouble finding info on the motherboard. The only markings it had was the number 612194-004. Turns out it was an Intel Classic R board.

Maybe this guide will help in identifying your board.

http://pcnineoneone.com/howto/moboid1/

If you can list any markings on the board here, we could help finding what you need. Good pictures of the board would help also.

Was your CPU on a removable board? I have a SX chip on a board that came from a Gateway and was wondering what model it came out of.

Generally if you install a PCI video card it should disable the onboard video.

Now I never seen a Gateway 486/66 that was not ISA/VLB, I think maybe you have a different motherboard installed?

I will try to get a picture in the next week of the insides and back. What I can tell everyone is that on the board video is an SIS chipset and that the DS RTC chip is located in the front right corner of the motherboard. I just neglected to see what number is on the top when I opened her up the other day ;-) It is a very new looking chip so perhaps someone changed it out with the newer chip? I can tell you that the reason I suspect the battery is that when she boots she seems to retain all the BIOS settings, however I get a message about "invalid configuration...please run configuration program" during the boot and it waits for you to hit F2 to get into the BIOS setup. It will eventually go on. I went into the BIOS setup and entered YES to reset the configuration data and rebooted, but the message remains, ergo, I suspect the DS RTC battery to be dying...but I suppose it could be fine and just not "fully compatible" with the system.

I can tell you that the reason I suspect the battery is that when she boots she seems to retain all the BIOS settings, however I get a message about "invalid configuration...please run configuration program" during the boot and it waits for you to hit F2 to get into the BIOS setup. It will eventually go on. I went into the BIOS setup and entered YES to reset the configuration data and rebooted, but the message remains, ergo, I suspect the DS RTC battery to be dying...but I suppose it could be fine and just not "fully compatible" with the system.
My Compaq Portable III has that same problem. The Dallas battery was just replaced with a new one. I just live with the error message as it still boots up properly.

Back