• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Your "Must-have" computers

I thought you already had a 5170. I just placed my last one on E-Bay a few days ago.

I don't know if I have any "must have" computers. But my "wish haves" are in my signature. Although, I am considering getting a 5170 since the 7531 is next to/impossible to find!

I'd love to get a late '60s-early '80s minicomputer of some sort - maybe a Data General Nova or TI-990 - but I'd need a whole lot more space than I have right now ;)

Last edited:
I have managed to fill the entire list (Done Next systems, Sun systems, SGI systems, Apple systems, a PDP-11/VAX, many IBM's and so on) with the exception of four systems now. A PDP-8, something that's S-100, an Apricot Xen, and an Apricot FP. The FP I actually have my sights on but $200 for a complete unit (in white and not the standard black) with a possibly dead LCD? I don't know....
I'm now at the point where I'm searching more for peripherals and cards for my existing systems to max the out but then again, who isn't doing that these days? ;)

Last edited:
Bought another RiscPC last week. Damn it's addictive. I think an Amiga 4000 may be next on the list.

Last edited:

Mine's a single slice. But I have a double slice 700 as well. The 600 appears to have in itermitent video issue. Video is intigrated on the mobo. May just transfer the later roms and hdd to the 700. Can't have too many spares ahh?

It's "modular" design with a number of "slices" added one on top of the other held together by, depending on how many slices there are, plastic different lenght locking pins. A PITA if you needed to alter anything on the mobo though. I think the x86 style expansion slots are better. You can still buy new components to update them but they're hideously expensive.

Edit-the 600s desktop is up and running now. Learnt a bit in the process.

Last edited:
I'd have to say a Royal AlphaTronic PC (vanished during my move in 2006. :( ) and some kind of machine that ran Pick as its native OS. A Prime Information or maybe a McDonnell-Douglas system. *wistful sigh*

g.

I didn't know that 5170s were in such demand. I have two of them sitting on my pool table that I had to take to get a couple of Bernoulli dual 20 units and a bunch of 20MB data cartridges and cleaning disks.
Now that will make a game of pool interesting, trying to hit the balls around those things.

Here is what I keep my eye out for,

A Compaq Proliant ML330 Server, I saw one once and thought they were the neatest things.

Whatever model this Packard Bell PC is,
129857-01_PackardBellCornerPC.jpg

An IBM PS/1 (be sure to include the monitor)<----A horrible design flaw.

A Nexar Computer (Huh) It's a PC in the 90s that you could unlock and open a side door and install more memory.

An Osborne 1 or 2.

And any generic 386 or 486 with a megahertz display on the front of the case.

PS: I'll probably find more to add to my want list after I finish looking at this thread:p.

Last edited:
Ian, did you know that those MHz displays were fake? (at least the ones I saw) They used jumpers on the back to configure the 7 segment displays. There could have been one or two that actually reflected the ongoing system clock rate, but I never saw one.

g.

Back