• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

A word on the Wiki

Okay. VaultWiki is on the way and should be installed within the next 24 hours.

If you're one of the Wiki SPAM cops and want to clean up prior to the transfer please do so now. I'll do what I can post-transfer but can't jump into the MediaWiki site right now.

Thanks,

Everything as of now is in Category:SPAM and can be looked up from there (and deleted). It's just one 'normal' page (see V) that hasn't been deleted already. There are lots of images that are still undeleted (all found via that category), plus lots of users pages. BTW those users I guess can be left out from the migration? (vbulletin users are otherwise practically impossible to get rid of as far as I understand, due to database concerns). There's a single new user account 'Goodshop3' which I suspect was only added to later create spam, but it hasn't been used yet so I haven't tagged it.[edit - removed what followed from here - what's described so far is all there is.]

(I just tag&delete content, a moderator will have to do the actual page/file removal - unless you can somehow filter the import so that Category:SPAM won't get included.)

-Tor

Last edited:
I'll have to see what imports. I'm pretty sure I can't be selective about it.

I also hadn't thought about users importing. Hopefully they don't... I'd rather lose the history of who edited what than add a ton of spammers to the board's user base.

Thank you for all of the help!

Everything as of now is in Category:SPAM and can be looked up from there (and deleted). It's just one 'normal' page (see V) that hasn't been deleted already. There are lots of images that are still undeleted (all found via that category), plus lots of users pages. BTW those users I guess can be left out from the migration? (vbulletin users are otherwise practically impossible to get rid of as far as I understand, due to database concerns). There's a single new user account 'Goodshop3' which I suspect was only added to later create spam, but it hasn't been used yet so I haven't tagged it.[edit - removed what followed from here - what's described so far is all there is.]

(I just tag&delete content, a moderator will have to do the actual page/file removal - unless you can somehow filter the import so that Category:SPAM won't get included.)

-Tor

The new Wiki should be installed and the old Wiki content imported tonight.

I'll leave the existing MediaWiki installation for a short time before turning it off and deleting the content. I'll re-point the http://wiki.vintage-computer.com url to the new Wiki after that.

If y'all see anything that I should know about, things like missed content from the import, spam in the new Wiki, lost/broken/wrong links, images, etc. or whatever else, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks!

For those keeping score, the Wiki is installed and can be accessed by the "Wiki" link in the menu bar at the top of the forums. The old content hasn't yet been imported...

We're working on it and hope to be done this weekend.

Thank you,

Has the vcwiki link really being switched to the new wiki? The spam is going on stronger than ever.

-Tor

Has the vcwiki link really being switched to the new wiki? The spam is going on stronger than ever.

Not yet. I'm waiting for the import then I'll shut off the old Wiki and only the new one (accessed through the forums) will be live.

Ok, thanks for clarifying - I'm simply going to leave the spammers alone for the rest of the old wiki's life, and let them have their moment. Until it disappears :)

Edit: Maybe you should just switch off the possibility to create new accounts (or even posting - if it's less work than blocking the existing spammer accounts). They now seem to work on a one-new-account,one-new-spam-post approach. Some way of mabye turning them off this site completely before switching to the new wiki. (As I've mentioned before - I've pretty good reason believing there are actual people doing the spamming, not bots. They use some tools, but that's it.)

-Tor

Ok, thanks for clarifying - I'm simply going to leave the spammers alone for the rest of the old wiki's life, and let them have their moment. Until it disappears :)

Edit: Maybe you should just switch off the possibility to create new accounts (or even posting - if it's less work than blocking the existing spammer accounts). They now seem to work on a one-new-account,one-new-spam-post approach. Some way of mabye turning them off this site completely before switching to the new wiki. (As I've mentioned before - I've pretty good reason believing there are actual people doing the spamming, not bots. They use some tools, but that's it.)

-Tor

It's not worth it at this point. The import should, I hope, be happening now or very soon. The old Wiki can spam away after that 'cause it's gonna vanish quickly.

Erik, I really appreciate your efforts on this stuff, but the parsing of forum posts with gratuitous linking of words such as "about" "clone" "software", etc. is really annoying.

If I want a link shown in my post, I'll use the appropriate BBCode, thank you.

I also notice that the new wiki does not seem to support the same tags as the old so in most of the articles it appears that all the formatting and pictures are gone. Is this something that will be rectified automatically or should we be investing our time to reformatting the articles?

Thanks for all the hard work Erik!

A wiki (sub)forum? Not really what I thought it would be.
I hope that the current view of the "new" wiki is only temporary, and that it will look like a real wiki once everything is done.

I'm kind of confused about what is going on too. It looks like all of the wiki articles are not just forum postings. Where is the Wiki structure?

Standing by for illumination ...

Mike

Erik, I really appreciate your efforts on this stuff, but the parsing of forum posts with gratuitous linking of words such as "about" "clone" "software", etc. is really annoying.

If I want a link shown in my post, I'll use the appropriate BBCode, thank you.

Interesting. I wasn't aware that it did that. I'll have to go in and find the switch to turn it off... I just hope there is one!

Oh boy... Every single bit of MediaWiki formatting syntax has been lost in the conversion.

Yeah. :(

There was a "covert legacy codes to BBCodes" part of the import that I forgot to run. It's going now.

I also notice that the new wiki does not seem to support the same tags as the old so in most of the articles it appears that all the formatting and pictures are gone. Is this something that will be rectified automatically or should we be investing our time to reformatting the articles?

As much of a PITA as that sounds like I think it's going to end up being the easiest way for anything not properly formatted at this point. I'm sure the conversion is, uhm, less than perfect.

Thanks for all the hard work Erik!

NP! Thank you all for all of the contributions. Now that the Wiki has much better spam protection we should be able to really boost the content, no? :)

A wiki (sub)forum? Not really what I thought it would be.
I hope that the current view of the "new" wiki is only temporary, and that it will look like a real wiki once everything is done.

I'm kind of confused about what is going on too. It looks like all of the wiki articles are not just forum postings. Where is the Wiki structure?

Standing by for illumination ...

The forum part of the wiki is the storage. There is a wiki skin on it, I hope, reached from the "Wiki" link on the top menu. Once you get into the articles they look a lot like a "real" wiki but they are still accessed via the forum links in the middle. I'm really time-crunched for the rest of the month (hot deadline at work), but hopefully someone can bang around in there and figure out how to re-configure the pages to look better/more Wiki like in that middle space.

What about just removing the old vcwiki link on the frontpage? It bugs me that the spammers think they're getting somewhere.

-Tor

What about just removing the old vcwiki link on the frontpage? It bugs me that the spammers think they're getting somewhere.

I'm just going to re-point wiki.vintage-computer.com to the new wiki and that'll shut out any access to the old one. I'll delete it in a bit...

Okay. The Wiki link from my main page now points to the Wiki in the forums. The http://wiki.vintage-computer.com url now points to the forum homepage (I can't point directly to the Wiki for a couple of technical reasons beyond my control.)

The only way to access the old Wiki right now is with a direct link and that, too, will be impossible in a few days.

We just need to copy the category pages from the old space to the new Wiki. I think those have to be set up by an admin, though...

Back