• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

commodore plus 4 system for sale

Good luck with that--a year or two ago, I advertised a Plus 4 nearly new in original packaging (not sure, it may have been powered up, but all of the original twist ties were intact).

I ended up giving it away. Better that putting it in the trash.

That is strange, as the number of still working Plus/4:s diminish for every year and every TED chip that breaks down. One would think the demand increases, at least as long as you have a tested (still) working machine.

The price difference between a Plus/4 and C-16 probably is due to rarity. The Plus/4 sold poorly, but by the time the C-16 was released, there was virtually no market for a computer with less than 64K of memory. Neither machine is anywhere near as common as the C-64, but there are a lot more people with fond memories of time spent with 64s.

Both computers are definitely prone to failure. Overheating seems to be the main problem. I've heard that if you put heatsinks on the CPU and TED chips they do a lot better.

seo services is a science that taps into seo and a human visitor at the same time and we have mastered this art through years of experience in Search Engine Optimization(SEO) arena, which is why we offer Guaranteed SEO services with a money back guarantee.
=====================
Wow! Where do I sign up?

That is strange, as the number of still working Plus/4:s diminish for every year and every TED chip that breaks down. One would think the demand increases, at least as long as you have a tested (still) working machine.

And of the programs one can run on the Plus/4, many are not NTSC compatible. Still, anyone interested in making the most of their Plus/4 should visit this site, http://plus4world.powweb.com/home

Yes, and it's an indication that rarity doesn't always translate into resale value. From my observations, rarity is just one ingredient in resale value and maybe a minor one at that. Much more important seems to be just how "notable" the computer is from an historical perspective. Did it have innovations that influenced computers that came later and was it well known in the marketplace.

Tez

I have a C16 in the box, it was free. The problem is those machines don't have a large game library and use oddball joysticks and other parts (power supply) compared to the C64. People are still tripping over C64's here in the US so I can see the market for the TED based systems (outside of the late 264's and other rarities) as being minimal.

I do have to admit I love the color schene of the C16 much more then the C64 and C64c.

I do have to admit I love the color schene of the C16 much more then the C64 and C64c.

I know it's herasy to admit it but I always thought the C64 was one of the ugliest computers ever marketed. (Yes, it's a "good" computer, it's just... not pretty. Color scheme, bullnose shape... pretty much a loser across the board. Granted I also think the CBM II series is pretty homely while fans of those machines sing endless praises of their case designs so beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder.)

The Plus/4 is a good looking machine, although it looks more like the love child of a Tandy Color Computer II and a Sinclair ZX Spectrum than anything else Commodore churned out. I might give a free one a home if I had space for it but I'd be afraid to ever turn it on.

I know it's herasy to admit it but I always thought the C64 was one of the ugliest computers ever marketed.

Oh, I don't think that's heresy. Gazette even had a contest to pretty up 64s. And there were aftermarket products to make them look more PC-like.

I thought the VIC looked pretty good, and the 16 was nice looking, so the color scheme is probably the biggest problem. I think the 64C and 128 looked fine. Beige, but sleek. And almost everything else was beige in those days. And I always liked how the Plus/4 looked, probably best of all. I guess it was about 20 years ahead of its time with its color scheme.

I wonder if Atari's colour scheme played a role? The Atari 400 and 800 were light grey and pretty much huge battleships on the desk. The VIC-20 feels smaller, rounder and originally in a lighter off-white colour, although it is subject to some bad yellowing. The C64 then followed the same form factor but was given a darker brownish grey to differ from the VIC. I suppose the "Atari grey" as much later found on C64G units was too close to the VIC colour. Not long after the C64 release, Atari moved on to the XL series with a very different design, starting with the 1200XL and eventually 600XL and 800XL.

That's a good observation. That could be, that Commodore was responding to the design changes of the XL series. I also wonder how much both companies were responding to Japanese-made MSX machines? Tramiel certainly lived in mortal fear of the Japanese. The Plus/4 looks very much like some of the earlier MSX machines, and the Atari XE and ST seemed to take some cues from later MSX machines.

I love how this dude considers this computer to be mint?????????????

Ebay Item number: 230663119471

WTF?

The Plus/4 is a great looking machine. It's a shame it wasn't the basis for the C-64's case.

Has anyone here transplanted a 16 into a C64 chassis? They're not a perfect match I'd assume, but it would be easier than trying to fit a plus/4 into the C64. Or maybe a vic 20 chassis.

I witnessed a system that had an Amiga 500, and C-128 in a C128D chassis, but I don't know what came of it. It was in a Philadelphia Commodore repair main's shop a few years ago. He was working on it as a side project.

bd

I used to own two C-16s, but I never seemed to be able to get a video signal out of them. I ended up stealing the keyboards out of them and using them in my Vic20 and C-64.

I don't think the C-16 would fit into a C-64 enclosure very well. From what I recall, the ports on the back were quite different.

I used to own two C-16s, but I never seemed to be able to get a video signal out of them. I ended up stealing the keyboards out of them and using them in my Vic20 and C-64.

I don't think the C-16 would fit into a C-64 enclosure very well. From what I recall, the ports on the back were quite different.

Are you sure it wasn't a PAL C-16? I think most of them sold were. I do recall seeing a display of a C-16 in K-Mart back in the day, so they were definitely sold here as well.

I used to own two C-16s, but I never seemed to be able to get a video signal out of them.

The video and cpus of these computers (c16 and plus4) die even if you don't look at them wrong.

Out of 5 ted machines I have 3 working cpus and 2 working ted chips.

Later,
dabone

It seems a decent amount of ZX Spectrums also were DOA or broke down quite soon, so if Commodore originally was trying to pit the TED series against it, maybe it wouldn't have mattered so much if TED's and 7501's broke down all the time, as long as they had spares to compensate customers. ;-) I'm absolutely sure this never was the intent though, but in a twisted sense it is an interesting observation.

Back