• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Using Both Sides of Floppy Disk to store programs with ADTpro

AppleIIfan

Banned
I have ADTpro Up and running beautifally for transferring games via audio to the IIe, But certain games like oregon trail were on a single disk and on both sides of the disk, When I try to format the other side of the disk ADTpro errors out and the disk drive makes some odd noises.

Any Ideas for getting this done

Thanks

Do your disks have notches on both sides? If not, cut out a notch of the same size as on the opposite side of the disk in the same area using scissors or a razor blade.

Be careful and conservative in the space you cut, you do not want to nick the media. There will be white cotton type stuff on the inside of the black plastic, which is okay.

One way to get the notch in the right position is if you have two floppy disks with one notch each. Put one on top of the other with back side up, so you can mark with a pen or pencil exactly where to cut the notch. Although it is not that sensitive, it will make the notch look neater.

I also understand the confusion, as the ADTPro homepage speaks about using double sided floppy disks while someone (like me) who is new to Apple II and compatibles might not realize the majority of Apple compatible floppy drives actually are single sided and one will have to use "flippies" like on Commodore, Atari etc. This is particularly interesting to me as I have about 100 NOS single sided floppy disks that I could use without worring about them not being double sided.

Yeah, the Apple II's disk drives are all single sided. Notch the disk, turn it over, and format the other side. You can cut the notch with a razor, or scissors, or something else. I always just used a hole punch to create a little semicircle notch.

-Ian

Back