• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

50-pin ribbon cables for an 8" disk drive with card edge connectors on both ends

billdeg

Technician
Hey all...I checked the web, did not see any site to buy 50-pin ribbon cables for an 8" disk drive with card edge connectors on both ends.. I found lots of SCSI cables, and the newer 50 pin modex ribbon cables, but not what I was looking for. Digikey might have them, but I did not find a picture to match the part. I guess there's not much demand. I really did check for these on the web, but nothing??

If they are unobtaneom I will find a way to make them instead. Any interest?

Bill

That would surprise me. Even narrow SCSI used a 50 pin header and ribbon cable internally. Not to mention QIC-02 and QIC-36 interfaces. Do an ebay search on "SCSI ribbon". At worst, you'd have to crimp a 50 position edge connector on one.

Exactly, I could only find the SCSI or molex cables, and then buy separate connectors. Then I'd have to make a cable. I did not find any pre-fab cables.

Exactly, I could only find the SCSI or molex cables, and then buy separate connectors. Then I'd have to make a cable. I did not find any pre-fab cables.

8" drives and QIC-02/QIC-36 tape drives are about the only things that I can think of that used the edge connectors. Both are ancient history, I'm afraid.

I don't count on finding the older cables any more. They've all been sent to China or West Africa to have their insulation burned off by desperately poor people eager to redeem the copper content.

I bought connectors to make my own cable. I have a piece of ribbon cable that I believe should fit.

Shipping for the connectors was more than what I paid for the connectors themselves (I bought a 10-pack.. so I should be good for a while!)

-Tor

Back