• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

2 Newly acquired Apple IIe's need help getting ProDOS transferred

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
I recently acquired 2 Apple IIe's one the older syle and one is a Platinum version. I have a super serial card in the older model and am using ADTPro to transfer disk images which I have done succesfully. I have a problem with ProDOS disks that are in an .shk format. As I understand it these are shinkit files. I have tried to use ciderpress to convert to .po files but always get an error something like "unable to find .system file" can someone please lead me in the right direction or eplain what I am doing wrong.

Or maybe send a couple of ProDOS images in the .dsk format?

Any help appreciated. :)

Forgot to mention I also have 2 5.25" unidisk drives (I think that's what there called)

I have a problem with ProDOS disks that are in an .shk format. As I understand it these are shinkit files. I have tried to use ciderpress to convert to .po files but always get an error something like "unable to find .system file" can someone please lead me in the right direction or eplain what I am doing wrong.
It's the images you're starting with: the .shk format is not a lot more than a collection of files. What happened lots of times back in the day was that folks just packed up the program they wanted to transport in a .shk file. I wasn't a complete, bootable disk image with ProDOS on it - that would violate Apple's copyrights at a time when they actively cared. What you want is to use already-bootable disk images of ProDOS, already in .DSK (or .po or .do) format. They're more likely to be bootable. One way to tell - when you bring them up in CiderPress, you'll see files named PRODOS and BASIC.SYSTEM.

You can find the images you're looking for here:
ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/masters/prodos
and ProDOS_2_0_3.dsk is probably a good one to start with.

Back