• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Another deluded ebay'er

There's been 1 declined offer so far, so he seems set on keeping the severely messed up price.

What prices he sets are definetely in his username. His username is "tags2extrem." Decoded form: Price tags 2 extreme to even consider not laughing at them.:)

A guy on CL here has been trying to sell a 99/4A for a couple of months. I think he's down to $20 now.
Those things just don't sell that well. There's just too many of them on ebay, and barely any of them sell either. I don't have one, and they're in low demand, maybe I can get a really nice one cheap.

That's about what I paid for my boxed 99/a. I ended up trading it for a SCSI to IDE bridge because I found the 99/a to be totally useless.

Although insane BIN price, one should take condition in consideration. It doesn't sound too good the machine has been used once, as it won't be in completely pristine condition. Now I doubt even an untouched TI-99/4A that had its box wrapped in plastic at the factory and stored at a perfect temperature and humidity controlled environment since .. 1980 or whenever the /4A replaced the /4, would be worth $1750 to a collector. Maybe $500 with a bunch of untouched software and peripherals, if the buyer is an excentric computer collector with a strong TI like.

I sent the fellow an email asking if he had even looked at other similar items WITH bids on them.

He just responded back saying he's going to reduce the price.

Now let's see if any reality creeps into the auction pricing...

Depending on the condition and what all is included, the $225 is at least in the ballpark. Quite a bit out in left field, but still inside the fence...

However, the way the economy is right now, it's probably about 10-25% too high.

Guess we'll see.

A 990/* mini would be worth the asking price. Perhaps a Geneve or 99/8.
Rescued a TI business system 300 mini in February for the infoAge museum. Guy tried to sell it for anything other than scrap for over a year. Eventually gave it to us. Heavy when you include the tape drive and hard disk drive.

I listed my TI/994a which was almost exactly like that (down to the software), except I didn't have the joy sticks. I listed it for $1, and it sold for $10. $225? Good luck...

Ebay is funny, no 2 auctions for the same item sell at the same price. There just isn't a steady demand for all things in this hobby so you either get lucky with a buyer who wants something now or you don't.

And if you do get lucky with a buyer who realy realy wants an item then its a nice big payday.

The old TI ain't what it used to be

The old TI ain't what it used to be

One thing is for certain and that's . . . nothing is for certain!
I recently sold (4) TI994A 'bundles' on eBay and pretty much lost my shirt. Luckily 3 of them had been given to me earlier but the accessories should have brought me a little more. My reckoning was that I would need to 'pad' these machines with some goodies or I wouldn't make a dime. So, I packaged 3 of the TI's with 6 unique game cartridges each, plus the manuals and modulator boxes. Now 2 of these units, the black and aluminum styles, were in pristine condition and worked fine. The 3rd unit, also working fine but with just a couple minor scratches on the aluminum, but also including a half dozen nice game cartridges, sold for a whopping $3.49 and the other 2 sold for $7.00 each. Ouch!
The last TI994A unit I sold was the beige plastic style and I had replaced the non-working gray keyboard with a fine working black keyboard from a black/aluminum unit. It worked fine and I bundled a lot of extras - as you can see from this picture. At least the buyer saw the value of this package and it sold for $86. (because of the extras.)

attachment.php

I'm afraid the world just has too many old TI994A's still lying around. It's a credit to them that so many still work 30 years later.
I just run the TI's in emulation nowadays. I never could seem to find the time to 'hook up' my old TI's to play with them. I liked them a lot, but the fun of having the original working computers soon wore off and I found they were just 'taking up space'. Can anyone relate to that?
Vintage computers are still of an interest to me and I have a few choice ones left in the 8-bit realm, but my single stand out favorites aren't computers at all, but programmable calculators. My pride is with my TI programmables, the TI-57, TI-58, and TI-59. I tell my 70's story on this page, if anyone is interested.

http://chroniclesofourtimes.blogspot.com/

(Love them TI programmables!)

Back