• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

petSD

for()

Experienced Member
Hello CBM/PET fans,

the petSD will be available soon!

petSD_front_900x675.jpg

Not just another PET-SD-card storage solution, but in fact the most mature one, published first on May 30th 2011 in the cbm hackers mailing list. Basically it's just an AVR-based hardware with IEEE-488 bus interface running the sd2iec/µIEC - firmware, but you can expand it and add a real time clock, USB and Ethernet.

Please have a look at the petSD project page.

Regards,
Nils

In any case Donald never seems to overcharge, rather the opposite. I saw the prices for some of the other kits keep dropping as we speak! Probably it also depends on volume and market demand; the PET market suddenly went from zero to four (IIRC) quite similar solutions of which at least two or three will be for sale.

It has both: IEEE-488 connector AND pin headers. If you don't use the IEEE-488 connector, you can even mount a second pin header instead.

There's a mounting hole in the center of the PCB for a M3 screw right there where my favorite case wants it.
You could also use the two holes of the IEEE-488 connector. The PCB holes for the connector are large enough to use M3 screws too, but you would have to enlarge the holes of the connector itself for a M3 screw. This total of 3 should be enough to hold this little PCB safely. During development I thought about adding mounting holes in the corners, but this isn't possible since the corners are used by the IEEE-488 connector (upper left), the Ethernet connector (upper right), the ISP connector (lower left) and the LEDs (lower right).

Tried the useless google translator with the german shop: petSD@Donald's shop in a strange language

The price is 49.00 EUR for a basic kit with case. Basic means neither USB nor Ethernet. If you want the real time clock, it's plus 7.90 EUR. The case has no holes or slots for the connectors or the SD card, you have to drill them by yourself.

Shipping costs depend on weight and destination (have a look at the p & p list, e.g. one petSD kit to USA or Canada should be 6.00 EUR).

You can order now, shipping will start CW 39/40 respectively next week / the week after next.

So, the question remains: How does someone who speaks only English order one of these? I tried several times to send Nils e-mail, but his web-mail spam filter (!) refuses to accept a message. Dropped a note to Donald, but he never responded.

Would appreciate knowing the various options, prices and availability.

Also: Does PetSD have the ability to emulate two active drives simultaneously? I've been told that the SuperPET Waterloo tool suite requires both "0" and "1" online at the same time. The person who makes the Petdisk is looking into adding this feature, but I was curious if PetSD might not already do this.

So, the question remains: How does someone who speaks only English order one of these? [...] Would appreciate knowing the various options, prices and availability.
Unfortunately Donald's shop is German only, due to legal reasons for one reason and his limited knowledge of the English language. German laws prohibit to open a shop that offers only limited english language, so if he'd write some english words, he'd have to represent the WHOLE shop including legal terms etc. in English - and that's way beyond his time and knowledge.

Anyway... he has been sending a lot of kits and soldered devices around the world so it you want one, you'll be able to get one.

Donald offers the petSD as a kit or a soldered kit with the real time clock as the only option. So that's a basic but still very useful petSD. You can add the USB and/or Ethernet option later, but you have to buy the required parts by yourself (see "configurable parts list" at the petSD homepage). At the moment, USB gives you only some debug messages but nothing more and Ethernet is not supported at all - that's why Donald offers only the RTC option.

Once again: Donald offers kits. If you can solder, select "Bausatz" -- if you wan't all the soldering done but can complete the rest (like putting in inside the housing), select "Löthilfe".

I wrote some words concerning the options in my last post, here are some more vocabularies:

Start at the petSD homepage, then click at the link to the shop at the first line.

You should now see the petSD in Donald's web shop with a huge German description - basically the same you can read in English at my homepage. Scroll down until you can read "Lieferumfang" (=what to ship) and "Bitte wählen Sie" (=please select options).

There's a box at the bottom right with green or red dots. Green = immediatly available, red = sold out.
Check "Anzahl" (=how many petSD kits) and enter your desired number of petSD kits.

Then select the following options:

"nur Bausatz" = you'll get a kit that you have to solder by yourself
"Bausatz mit Löthilfe" = you'll get a kit with all soldering work done. So you don't have to solder by yourself, but still have to put the chips into the sockets and put it inside the case.
This strange practice is due to German law and to explain that further is a bit beyond this post... please live with it.

"mit Uhren-Modul" = with real-time-clock. You can add them later if you want a basic kit first.

"A0: 5,5mm options / beide Buchsen": that's the size of the plug for the DC-connector: 2.1mm or 2.5mm or both. I guess that option will disappear soon since I only know 5V DC wall connectors with 2.1mm plug diameter. So please use the preselected "2,1mm Buchse" option.

Click at "In den Warenkorb" = add to basket

After selecting your options and clicking on "In den Warenkorb" (add to basket) click at "Warenkorb" (=basket) located at the top right.

Choose your country (Land) and state (Bundesland) and zip code, then click at "Zur Kasse" (=checkout).

Now choose the last option "Bestellen ohne Kundenkonto" (order without prior registration) and click at "Weiter" (=continue).

Click at "Ich habe die Datenschutz..." to confirm you agree that your address data gets stored in a computer database - funny, but it's German law.

Then enter your name and address:

"Firma" = "company". Leave it empty if you don't need this.
"Herr" = "Mister"
"Frau" = "Miss"
"Vorname" = "first name"
"Nachname" = "last name"
"Straße" = "street"
"Anschrift Zeile 2" = "additional space for address information"
"Postleitzahl" = "zip code"
"Ort" = "city"
"Land" = "country"
"E-Mail Adresse" = "e-mail address"

You don't need to fill out Telefon/Fax (phone).

Then click at "Weiter" (=continue)

You should now be at "Schritt 2 von 4" (=step 2 of 4) and see your address at the top left.
Select "Maxibrief per Einschreiben" (=send by registered mail). Select "Paket" (=parcel) only if you order a mass of petSDs that are too heavy to send them by mail.

If you want to, you can add some comments at "Kommentare".

Click at "Weiter" (=continue)

Now you're at "Schritt 3 von 4" (=step 3 of 4).

Check "Ich habe die AGB gelesen und akzeptiert" (=I read the legal terms and conditions and agree) - German law, nothing special inside. Basically: you have to pay first before you get something.

Inside the box "Zahlungsart" (=how you'd like to pay), select PayPal.

Again, click at "Weiter" to continue.

Now you reached the final step. Check your billing address (top left, "Rechnungsanschrift") and shipping address (top right, "Lieferanschrift"), your remarks ("Anmerkungen oder Hinweise"), your order ("Warenkorbinhalt", that's what has been in your basket).

Check the "Zwischensumme" (sub total), "Versandkosten" (shipping costs) and "Endsumme" (grand total).

Click at "Bearbeiten" (=edit) if you'd like to change something or... if you agree with all you see and checked it: "Bestellung bestätigen" to proceed to PayPal checkout.

Sorry for the German-only shop... if you have any questions, I'd like to help.

If somebody would like to offer the petSD in a shop in English language please contact me.
I tried several times to send Nils e-mail, but his web-mail spam filter (!) refuses to accept a message. Dropped a note to Donald, but he never responded.
I'm sorry, I did not know that there's some trouble with the spam filter. Please feel free to send me a mail directly to nils.eilers -AT- gmx -DOT- de. I'll fix that issue ASAP.

Also: Does PetSD have the ability to emulate two active drives simultaneously? I've been told that the SuperPET Waterloo tool suite requires both "0" and "1" online at the same time. The person who makes the Petdisk is looking into adding this feature, but I was curious if PetSD might not already do this.
To be honest: hell, who knows...

The sd2iec firmware supports multiple partitions on a single SD-card. If I'm right, the README says that files on different partitions could be selected by 0:FILENAME for the first partition and 1:FILENAME for the second partition. Maybe this could be some sort of dual drive emulation, but I really didn't try that so far.

However, dual drive support still is on my to-do-list, but time is a limited factor.

The bad news: IHMO Windows doesn't support multiple partitions on a single SD-card, it shows only the first. So if you'd like to play around with multiple partitions to emulate dual drives, you'll probably have to use some *NIX like Linux, *BSD or Mac OS X.

I'll give it a try and report then.

Unfortunately Donald's shop is German only, due to legal reasons for one reason and his limited knowledge of the English language. German laws prohibit to open a shop that offers only limited english language, so if he'd write some english words, he'd have to represent the WHOLE shop including legal terms etc. in English - and that's way beyond his time and knowledge.

Sorry for the German-only shop... if you have any questions, I'd like to help.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post that explanation - terrific!

To be honest: hell, who knows...

The sd2iec firmware supports multiple partitions on a single SD-card. If I'm right, the README says that files on different partitions could be selected by 0:FILENAME for the first partition and 1:FILENAME for the second partition. Maybe this could be some sort of dual drive emulation, but I really didn't try that so far.

However, dual drive support still is on my to-do-list, but time is a limited factor.

The bad news: IHMO Windows doesn't support multiple partitions on a single SD-card, it shows only the first. So if you'd like to play around with multiple partitions to emulate dual drives, you'll probably have to use some *NIX like Linux, *BSD or Mac OS X.

I'll give it a try and report then.

That 0: and 1: behavior _should_ be sufficient to make the application believe that it has two drives attached. And, I'm a heavy Linux/Unix user, so the partitioning is not a problem.

Would appreciate hearing what you discover about it!

Oh, almost forgot to ask: How much SMD soldering is required? I have a hot-air reflow setup, but must admit that I'm still not every experienced with it. Through-hole construction I can do in my sleep :wink:

Thanks very much for taking the time to post that explanation - terrific!
Indeed; I read and speak German and I found the site confusing ;-)

That 0: and 1: behavior _should_ be sufficient to make the application believe that it has two drives attached.
Probably just semantics, but I think you want a dual drive (2040/4040/8050/8250 etc., not the same as "two drives".

I notice that on Nils' To Do List it says "Improve support for virtual double disk drives like the 8050".

So, there are really two questions: does (will) it support both drives in a dual drive unit (Dx, 0/1: ), and does (will) it support multiple drive Units (Ux)?

BTW, there's mention of a detailed English readme file; where?

Last edited:
How much SMD soldering is required?
I designed the petSD to use THT wherever possible. I even bought some PIC microcontrollers with hardware-USB housed in DIP but unfortunately discovered soon that even simplest things are a lot different in the PIC world compared with the AVR world. So eventually I rejected the idea for realizing the petSD in reasonable time.

That's why there's still a single SMD chip left: the FT232R USB interface that gives you a virtual serial COM port. All other chips (even the Ethernet interface) are THT only and therefore easy to solder.

The SD card slot and the battery holder are SMD too, but the pads are large enough you shouldn't get any problems if you're comfortable with THT soldering. It's exactly the same SD card slot used by the SD2IEC kit by Peter Sieg, and a lot of people with little or no soldering experience could handle it.

Indeed; I read and speak German and I found the site confusing ;-)
Well... I would have used a shorter description that let's you place the candy into the basket without having to scroll down first and a more decent color -- but at last I'm very happy that Donald does the distribution so I'll let him do his job his way.

So, there are really two questions: does (will) it support both drives in a dual drive unit (Dx, 0/1: ), and does (will) it support multiple drive Units (Ux)?
Actually it might support multiple drives in a single unit. Just like a 8050 with D0 and D1 both on unit 8. I'll try this multiple partition thing and let you know.

The support of multiple units (e.g. 8 and 9) is somewhere in the future but is a feature I'd like to add. But I think, a different unit number should address a different (virtual) device, e.g. 4 for a virtual printer that writes images to SD card or uses PC/USB/modern printer... things like that. If I'd use different unit numbers for drives, one of them should be a network drive. FTP or USB maybe some day.

But since you can change petSD's device number, you can use several petSDs at the same time, e.g. one configured as 8, the other as 9. You can tell the petSD to remember the last used unit number even after power off.

Just a copy taken from the source at sd2iec.de -- strange it wasn't added to that directory listing. But there is and has been a link at the petSD homepage. Read it immediatly here: sd2iec README

Probably just semantics, but I think you want a dual drive (2040/4040/8050/8250 etc., not the same as "two drives".

I notice that on Nils' To Do List it says "Improve support for virtual double disk drives like the 8050".

Thanks. I'll start picking through the FM and see if I can get it through my head what the difference is. No point in bothering the group with newbie questions!

Today I found the time to play around with the "dual disk drive" emulation of the petSD.

How to emulate dual-disk-drives:
- Create a SD card with two partitions on it*
- First partition will be drive #1
- Second partition will be drive #0
- Send the command CP2 to the petSD: OPEN1,8,15,"CP2":CLOSE 1
- voilà: you can now access your two partitions as if they were two disks in one drive, e.g. LOAD "1:TEST",8 or LOAD"0:TEST",8

*) Linux user may use fdisk, cfdisk or gparted, OS X users may use the Disk Utility.

How it works:
The partition numbering starts at 1. Consequently you could use LOAD"2:NAME",8 to load a file from the second partition - not very handy. But #0 (and no number given) are a special case, where the "current partition" gets used. Sending the command CP2 to the petSD declares the partition 2 as the current partition, so we can access the second partition now as 0:NAME - just like you always did with dual disk drives like the 8050.

However there remain some incompatibilities to a real drive. If you try to access a file without drive number, it will search it on both drives. The petSD uses only the current partition.
If you try SAVE"TEST",8 and have no disk in drive #0 but one in #1, the drive will save it on drive #1 even if no 1: was given in the name. That shouldn't be a problem, since I guess you'll never have a second but no first partition ;-)

Problem Ordering...

Problem Ordering...

I followed the instructions carefully, but cannot get Donald's web shop to accept my order. Problem seems related to the way the portal takes my address. There's no obvious place for my state to be entered. As a result, PayPal detects an apparent mismatch and rejects any attempt to complete payment.

Any ideas?

Questions

Questions

I have the basic kit from Donald now. Before I start into it, I'm curious about the features added by installing the USB and ethernet capabilities. What do these permit beyond the basic kit? Is there special client software required to use them?

Also, what is connector K14 for? Is that the serial port? If so, what are the various signals? I'm going to guess:

MISO and MOSI - Perhaps serial in and out? If so, which is which?
SCK - No idea
RES - CPU reset (same function as button S3, I assume)

That is probably the connection for an in-system microcontroller programmer, those signals are used by Atmel hardware programmers.

Also, what is connector K14 for? Is that the serial port? If so, what are the various signals? I'm going to guess:

MISO and MOSI - Perhaps serial in and out? If so, which is which?
SCK - No idea
RES - CPU reset (same function as button S3, I assume)

Most microcontrollers support the Serial Peripheral Interface bus (SPI). See this link for info.

It is not needed for PET disk usage. Most C Compilers and BASICs that support AVR, PIC, ATMEGA type microcontrollers have instructions set extensions that allow use of this bus for custom designs.

Back