• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

help finding a home for old computers

ric_barline

Hi. I am reposting this on advice from another member (I originally posted it in the marketplace section). I new to this forum and have joined specifically to get some help finding a home for various old computers and related stuff. A friend of mine has medical problems and needs to liquidate his collection of old stuff to help pay his bills. He has a garage full of old computers but neither of us know their value or how best to sell them, (I have an eBay store, but this site is probably where I will list them).

Here's a list of what we have come up with so far:

1) Zenith Data Systems LSI-11 (new but missing backplane assembly and boards, but have kits for these below)
2) Heathkit* H-11 (has backplane assembly and 4 PC boards - he says it works)
3) Heathkit ET-100 learning computer (kit form still in box - the box has been trashed but all contents are undisturbed)
4) Heathkit H-10* Paper Tape Reader/Punch (kit form still in box - still sealed except that bottom shipping tape was slit opened)
5) A Heath Main Board assembled and tested (has various QC stamps and labels) P/N 85-2829-1. (Not sure what this goes with)
6) Heathkit H-11-2 Parallel I/O board (unassembled* kit in box)
7) Heathkit H-11-5 Serial Interface Module (unassembled kit in box)
8 ) Zenith Data Systems/Heath microcomputer learning system (model ET-3400 assembled and in original box)
9) Zenith Data Systems Video Display Monitor Model ZVM-123-A-2 (in original box)
10) A spare CRT for Video Display Monitor (Toshiba 310GJB4)
11) Zenith Data Systems Z-150 desktop computer system (boots OK) (two of these).

There is a bunch more stuff like this that we need to dig out. I also saw a huge Winchester drive but it is very heavy so I didn't bring it home. He also has the documentation that goes with this stuff; we need to sort through it all and match it up to the items.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.

It might help shortcut your efforts to help your friend if you could post photos of the garage with equipment "in situ".

Members here could assist in identification, and potentially facilitate the overall process.

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was over there for the first time last week and the garage is a disaster, piles of stuff everywhere. We had to dig stuff out to get it to where we could identify it. Nothing would be clearly visible in a photo. What I am doing now is dusting things off, making lists, and getting ready for photos. I'll post back when there are photos for you to look at. Next time I'm there I'll get a shot of the Winchester drive, which is very heavy, and any other stuff too large to move (or ship).

What looks like a "disaster" and a "pile" to you, might be quite familiar to folks here, but do as you see fit.

Since things are heavy, it will also help to have some idea of location, [e.g. - State, City] because pickup of these kind of things really helps facilitate offers.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. The "piles of stuff" are piles of boxes containing household good, not computer equipment. I think I have already identified most everything that would be of interest to forum readers. Everything except a few items is located at my home in San Jose, CA.

Back