• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

286 DIP pinout questions

twolazy

Veteran Member
ATM I am repairing a ibm ps/2 model 60, as seen in another thread. I currently have the cpu socket desoldered, but do not have the dip headers as of yet.

I was wondering if a 286 DIP would be the same pinout as a 286 PLCC in a PLCC socket adapter, like this...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-PLCC68...189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27bb5099cd

Already own a few 286 PLCC style processors, but the motherboard is dip. Would it be possible to use a socket like above? I wanted to eventually revert the machine back to stock anyways, and hate to have to buy one if I can use what I already have...

:huh:

A 80286 in DIP? Never heard of such a critter. I've seen 286s in CLCC, PLCC, PGA and maybe QFP, but I can't imagine how a DIP version would look.

Now, the 80287, yes, that came in DIP as well as PLCC.

But not even Hugo (over at cpumuseum) has a DIP 80286--and his collection is encyclopedic.

If indeed you do need a PGA 80286, then what speed do you require? I've got a few PGA 80286s pulled from PS/2s, and aside from keeping a spare for my IBM AT, I doubt I'll ever use the others (besides, I have 4 or 5).

I thought I remembered a DIP 80286 in a Tandy 1000TL - probably I'm mistaken then. Such a package is mentioned on the wikipedia 80286 talk page, not that that is neccessarily correct.

Anyone got a link to an original (1982) Intel datasheet for the 286? The scanned version that keeps popping up is from 1988.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the OP meant a PGA.

oops just realized my mistake, duh its not rectangular! I meant PGA not dip... still had the dip socket headers for the repair stuck in my head doh! :wallbang:

But if PGA was intended, yes, they're the same. As a matter of fact, you could take a PLCC 80286, stick it in a through-hole PLCC socket and jam the socket leads into the PGA socket holes. It'd work just fine.

Exactly the information I was looking for! Thank you very much. :D I will order the PLCC sockets asap. Much cheaper then a cpu!

If indeed you do need a PGA 80286, then what speed do you require? I've got a few PGA 80286s pulled from PS/2s, and aside from keeping a spare for my IBM AT, I doubt I'll ever use the others (besides, I have 4 or 5).

Hrm, what would you want for one? If its around the same price as the socket I'll bite, otherwise I have at least 6 PLCC 286 cpus. Believe the original was 10 MHz. If I am not mistaken I can use a faster cpu with no problems, as its the crystal that sets the speed. Slowest I have atm is 12 MHz PLCC.

Last edited:
Back