• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for some early PC software

PgrAm

Experienced Member
Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some early pc software from 1981-1986. I'm not looking for actual disks just download links so if anybody knows where I can find this can they please post a link. Before anyone asks, YES I have been searching on Google before asking.

specifically I am looking for :

Lotus 123 version 1.0a
Norton utilities 1.0 or 2.0
The first version of PC-Talk
Turbo Pascal 1.0

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apart from the comprog I think those are all proprietary, so you won't (or shouldn't) find them as downloadable but I guess the original PC-Talk was freeware - the version III from 1983 was. That should be included in the 1989 PC Blue collection. You can get that here: http://www.archive.org/details/SuperBlue

Welcome aboard! What are you up to?

I may have a full install of Lotus 1-2-3 on my 80286, I'll check tonight to see if that's the proper version if possible.

I've got a copy of the LOTUS v1a, the Turbo Pascal and Cross-Talk which is similar to the PC-Talk...... but wouldn't sending you a copy be a violation of the CopyRight laws and user agreements?

perhaps some of the more senior folks can shed some light on what can and cannot be shared.

I'm not sure what the mods' official stance on it is, but I suspect that it's along the lines of "don't do it openly" :)

PM and stuff works nicely. Most of this software is ancient, long-since abandoned, and sometimes even has later versions given away by the IP holders for free (which, IMO, means that versions earlier than they are giving away are fair game).

I tend to live by "give, don't sell - except for originals." I give away images to whomever needs them if I have them, I sell my originals when I no longer need them. (Maybe).

Thank you everybody, that really helped I Think i have what I need now.

If anybody has some historically significant software that I didn't list feel free to PM me.

Thanks once again.

We're not copyright enforcement for other parties. But I would strongly urge everybody here to obey applicable laws. I don't want this turning into an abandonware request forum ..

I would suggest that the original poster should amend their post to look for original copies with documentation so that there is no question about motive on the copyrighted titles. Another resource to use is eBay - old software shows up there regularly.

Mike

Right, check ebay or the VCGM and you may find some of those (coulda swornd I saw Lotus 123 on there not too long ago). Otherwise google using some of those terms and you should find them within the first page of results I think.

Thank you everybody, that really helped I Think i have what I need now.

If anybody has some historically significant software that I didn't list feel free to PM me.

Thanks once again.
I'm confused - you have what you need now, but still looking for "historically significant software". I'm sure we all have lots. Personally I collect practical DOS utilities from any age, because it is a working OS for me. However, I am particularly fond of the old ones which, to me, are historically significant. For example, I would give that title to some of the Michael Mefford utilities. The same goes for early PKware and definately Vern Buerg's classic. Apart from the odd communications program such as Arachne, applications generally don't interest me and I usually stick to the single file programs for all my networking needs.

You didn't comment on the PC Blue collection. I like it because it is particularly hard to get stuff from the '81-'83 years and this seems to be the mother lode. Do you have anything interesting from that era?

A short list doesn't really tell me much so, as I asked earlier, what are your interests? Tell us about your collection. :)

Oh I did download the PC-Blue collection but its pretty big and its gonna take me a while to look through it all.

Thanks for the link.

".... but wouldn't sending you a copy be a violation of the CopyRight laws and user agreements?"
according to the Wikipedia article (I know, could be crap)
"Borland has released three old versions of Turbo Pascal free of charge because of their historical interest: versions 1.0, 3.02 and 5.5 for DOS."
Kinda wonder why I saved that 3.01a disk now.

I'm confused - you have what you need now, but still looking for "historically significant software". I'm sure we all have lots. Personally I collect practical DOS utilities from any age, because it is a working OS for me. However, I am particularly fond of the old ones which, to me, are historically significant. For example, I would give that title to some of the Michael Mefford utilities. The same goes for early PKware and definately Vern Buerg's classic. Apart from the odd communications program such as Arachne, applications generally don't interest me and I usually stick to the single file programs for all my networking needs.

You didn't comment on the PC Blue collection. I like it because it is particularly hard to get stuff from the '81-'83 years and this seems to be the mother lode. Do you have anything interesting from that era?

A short list doesn't really tell me much so, as I asked earlier, what are your interests? Tell us about your collection.

Well my interests?

My fascination with vintage hardware began when my friend showed me his old Commodore 64. I like programming computers of all vintages and taught myself apple II Basic in 3 days (before that I only knew c++).

My collection consists mostly of various PCs some are custom made from old parts and some are complete. Apart from that my collection is composed of way too many 1990s era video game consoles including many boxes of NES games.

Currently looking around for a decently priced 5150 but probably not gonna buy one anytime soon.

Well, it looks like you'll fit right in around here. :)

Yes, the PC-Blue collection is time consuming to go through. Personally I just looked at the lower numbers which are in the right ball park for early 5150 software. I must say the Internet Archive puts things in the most irritating format - presumably to discourage people from using their services. I originally found the collection on a web page which saves a lot of time and effort, but couldn't find it again just now.

Regarding the PC Talk software, even the PC-Blue collection doesn't have version one. I wouldn't mind finding that myself. However, to save you the trouble of digging for version III (which is still only 1983), I put that here for you: http://cgs.coalmont.net/pctalk.zip

I just found a nice site for some older software. It's a gopher site, so I just use my DOS box which runs that just fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if some browsers can do it too. Anyway, the site is here:
gopher://sdf.org/1/computers

Code:
	apple
	cpm
	historical
	internet
	mklinux
	multics
	pcjr
	pdp10
	toshiba
	vt100
	windows
Go to pcjr for PC stuff.

PS: In previewing this, I see that Firefox does gopher! W00t!

Does Firefox need additional configuration or plugins to work with gopher ?
I'm running 6.02 and it doesn't work as-is.

Yes, you have to get the Gopher Add-In. Once it's installed follow the instructions to restart Firefox and you're good to go.

Yes, you have to get the Gopher Add-In. Once it's installed follow the instructions to restart Firefox and you're good to go.

Interesting. I'm running FF 3.6.17 which is also pretty recent, and it didn't need any add-on. I guess they dropped support in this last year. Probably not a lot of people would use it anyway.

Since this thread is about old software, I put a copy of gopher for DOS here: http://cgs.coalmont.net/gopher.zip
That is a wattcp utility and will run as is without any configuration.

Back