• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

mid 80s Apple IIe game, What was it called?????

delori

All,

I seen another post similar to what I'm about to ask asking for help with the name of an old game so I hope it's OK to post a request for this here.

For some reason this popped back into my head resently and now it's driving me nuts and I'm having no luck figuring out the name of this old game.

As I recall... You flew this little helicopter on a screen that moved right to left and there was this little tank on the bottom that would shoot heat seeking missiles at you as you dodged and shot other things flying towards you on the screen. I think this was like the second or third level and the trick was to start high left, move right and down to drop a bomb hard on the tank before he could speed up and get out of the way. Does any of this ring any bells for you?

On a side note, is there a way to play these old games on a new MAC, kind of mime for the old arcade games on the PC? I found another cool old game, lode runner, and was able to download a dsk file for it but I'm not sure what I need to run it.

I just recently got into MACs after 20 years of using PC and thought it would be cool to show my kids what games were like when I was a kid.

Thanks for any help!

Delorian

On the latter note yes, emulators are available for almost any system on any system. There are lots of sites out there like http://www.emulator-zone.com/ with different devices, or if you're looking specifically for Apple II on Mac OSX there seems to be Virtual II or dosbox for old dos games.

Choplifter? Captain Goodnight? Cavern Cobra?

From the OP's description it sounds like something I played in the mid eighties while waiting for the next satellite pass. And the above posting reminded me that one of the games was called Choplifter, so maybe that's the one. Those other two I haven't heard about.

-Tor

All,

Thanks for the replies so far, but checking the screen shots for the games listed, none of them look like what I remember. I mean I can even remember the red folder that I had the floppy sleave taped in where I kept the disk! I can't believe I can't remember the name.... I remember the helicopter and tank being rather small, almost tiny, they weren't big like the images for Choplifter. Also the missle that the tank shot would go crusing by you then circle back to get you from behind but it you were able to avoid it for a little it would run out of fuel and kind of flutter as it dropped back to the ground.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again,

Delorian

What you describe really sounds like the behavior of the heat-seeking missiles in Fort Apocalypse... but I played that on the C64, and I'm not sure it was ever ported to the Apple. You piloted a chopper, and the tanks fired at you while you were still above ground. But you weren't tiny... and you spent much more of your time underground (in a chopper!) that makes it seem unlikely this is the game you're thinking of.

naw, Fort Apocalypse, isn't it either, but thanks for the idea.

On a side note, I have the emulator running on my iMAC now, so all I need is to figure out what game I'm thinking of... But Loderunner look cool! LOL

Thanks,

Glad you're able to join the club and enjoy the games with your family again :) Googling for similar games there's a newer game (probably not it) called Armor Alley which I guess took after "Rescue Raiders". There's a game called Silkworm which is a helicopter game also but not sure it was on Apple II (looks more Commodore) and graphics were pretty advanced. Were the graphics good in that game? Remember many of the sounds?

On the PC the only helicopter games I played were Striker and Gunship but those don't sound like any similar objectives. Striker you went around rescuing civilians and were shot at but it was a side scroller. "Gunship!" was a first person helicopter flight sim sorta like F-15 Strike Eagle or MS Flight Simulator games.

Now you just need to find your mega collection of Apple II games and have a ball going through them and playing them heh.

barythrin, None of those are the one either. The game was in color and the graphics were OK, but I don't remember any of the sounds but I know it has some. The screen had a black background and the helo was white or light grey I'm pretty sure. I don't remember seeing any terrain and I’m pretty sure the helo didn’t turn around, it just moved around always facing right.

Yeah, I’m going to pull some more down this weekend and if I get lucky enough to find the one I’m looking for I’ll be sure to let everyone know.

Thanks,

Interesting feature I never fully explored before on Mobygames. You can select categories and it will whittle down the list based on your selections to the most popular titles matching platform, genre, year, etc. Not sure if that will really help a whole lot but perhaps once you get the list down you'd recognize the name.

Last edited:
Well since this thread has been started, I have another Apple II game that I've not been able to firmly identify or find another copy of.

It was a fun game that I used to play as a kid, but went west in the late 90's along with my original Apple IIe when the wife insisted it was taking up too much space. :(

I BELIEVE it to be called "gold rush" but it's NOT the role playing, prospecting game that seems to be about all you can find when looking for it.

This is more like a "avoid the baddies/collect the gold" arcade game that starts with a little animated train arriving up the right hand side of the screen making a "chuff-chuff-chuff" sound.

Any ideas?

I think I've actually played this game! Did the train drive from up from the bottom right to middle right of the screen? And the you exit the train and run around on the the left side collecting gold and then return to the train maybe? This was an overhead view game. If that's the game I have/had it in my collection and played it last about 1 year back.

..this was one of my favorites games to :)
i know this under name GOLD RUSH /it is in compilation disk with another 3 games/
View attachment 6830

here is thd LINK for downlaoding :)

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/roms/getfile.php?file=Li9BcHBsZS9JSS9Db21waWxhdGlvbnMvWlpaLVVOSy0lNUJjb21waWw0JTVEJTIwQ29uZ28lMjAtJTIwRXBvY2glMjAtJTIwR29sZCUyMFJ1c2glMjAtJTIwTWF0aW5nJTIwWm9uZS56aXA=

This is indeed the beastie, and with a link to pull it down, no less.

Now I'm happy. I was beginning to think it had disappeared into the mists of time. :)

The game your talking about is called star blazer, and it's awesome.
I could never get that tank.
Also it's not a helicopter, but a ship.

If you like Blazer, then I suggest Rescue Raiders (which was my initial guess when you said helicopter with tanks shooting missiles) It's a similar game to Star Blazer, and one of my favorites. If you have an Apple II with a speech synthesizer, it's even more fun cuz the game speaks to you! :D

Another game that's really fun is Minute Man. First you're a helicopter, and you have to build a bridge for a train to cross with the nuke. Then after the train makes it across, you exit your chopper as a little dude with a gun and run down some stairs into a building. In there you have to avoid various obstacles before making it to the end (kind of like a miniature Pitfall or Impossible Mission game) and launch the nuke. I remember it being challenging, but then again, I was only 8 or 9 years old at the time. :)

Back