• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore 65 on eBay

I noticed the original bidder joking had a max bid of $.64.

Its a rarity people would need to complete a Commodore collection, but its not something you can use (no software was made for it, not even sure if the ROM is 100% finished).

As far as I know, there are several ROM and hardware revisions floating around so very few C65 are compatible with eachother. It leads to the question if someone was to re-implement it in VHDL/FPGA/whatever, which is requested quite frequently in Commodore forums, which sub-version of a Commodore 65 would be targetted? Personally I think it is a nice curiosity and fills a place in a collection for die-hard Commodore collectors with a lot of surplus money, but really don't see the reason to try and artificially bring it back to life. As a computer it probably serves less use than a gene manipulated mammoth would do in the animal kingdom. To some degree I'd like to think of the C64DTV as the modern C64 successor, and if someone wants more MHz, more RAM, more pixels and colours, more sound, more I/O, they could just as well design an own superset instead of trying to copy the C65.

I agree with carlsson, there's no really point on a VHDL implementation, not enough user base to support it; so only also a die-hard Commodore and FPGA world would be interested in create such design. We've a MESS emulation, incomplete; but enough to peek about how it feels.
Indeed the DTV its a very powerful machine with some easy moddings that can bring it near of an Amiga. YouTube is plenty of demos showing its potential.

Anyway, some months ago a friend of mine adquired a C65 pristine unit. Here are some photos of its inner: Commodore 65 inners

Nice!

I noticed that auction right away and have been watching it. Looks like everyone is catching their breath from the early launch!

Wonder where it'll end up...

I sure wish I had bought one of these back in the day when Software Hut was selling them through their catalog. They were advertised for something like $99. I always assumed then that it was a typo in their ad.

Time left: 2d 11h (Oct 01, 201122:00:32 PDT)
Bid history: 27 bids
Current bid: US $6,547.00

Does it matter if I noticed or not? lol I'll consider it duly noted.

Well, looks like some people secured some bank financing. Price is up to $7300 with 1 day and 15 hours left.

Any bets on how high it'll go? $10,000? 15,000?

Inquiring minds want to know...

While I haven't following bidding to the closest detail, supposedly the most recent C65's for sale in an open forum or auction place have ended around $10K-13K each. I don't know if the financial crisis will make any difference now, but most likely it will at least hit $10K. Some think it will go much higher than any C65 previously sold, but I'm not sure.

What would be interesting though is if the auction will run to the end, or someone will make a side deal with the seller and the auction is shut down ahead of time: "computer dropped in the trash, no longer available". It would be against eBay rules to do so, but when there are enough trailing zeroes, people could ignore rules.

Update: $8191 at time of writing, or $0x1FFF if you like in hexadecimal. I suppose it could also be written as $$1FFF although you usually don't count currency in hexadecimal units.

That would be an enticing thing to do. The last thing I sold on eBay for "big money" ended up at around $550. Between PayPal and eBay fees I think we ended up having to pay about $80 to sell it. I was a bit livid with that since the fees had gone up since the last time I sold something on eBay.

True, but you could also consider that $80 of advertisment costs in order to get buyers willing to pay as much as $470 for your items. Compare to listing something on VCGM. It is free of fees (*) but also has far less visitors so you have to work very hard to get everyone you want bidding for your items to see them.

(*) PayPal will still charge if you get paid in that way

What would be interesting though is if the auction will run to the end, or someone will make a side deal with the seller and the auction is shut down ahead of time: "computer dropped in the trash, no longer available". It would be against eBay rules to do so, but when there are enough trailing zeroes, people could ignore rules.

Update: $8191 at time of writing, or $0x1FFF if you like in hexadecimal. I suppose it could also be written as $$1FFF although you usually don't count currency in hexadecimal units.

I think at this point, if someone was to make an offer to buy it on the side, there would have to be a HUGE offer. I've got a gut feeling this auction is going to go past $10,000 like it wasn't even there!

HEX currency???

Dude, you're definitely one warped individual. Guess that's why I like you ! :biggrin:

Yep, no one is going to accept a $20K bid from a 0 feedback bidder. Anyway, the second higher bid is still an amazing one, $20K for such a computer is absolutely insane :eek:

$20,000 for one computer? I'd definitely pass. My wife would've had my head even as supportive as she is of my collection!

As far as the 0 bidder, if it was my auction, he'd definitely have to contact me first or I'd cancel the bid without any hesitation.

If I'm not mistaken, this auction started at $0.01 with no reserve. Given there are collectors with both desire and money, there never really was a risk it would end cheap.

Hm, yeah ended at $20,100 with that 0 feedback buyer. I always wonder how many folks create an account to bid up their gear although I'm not sure how many excuses you can give ebay afterwards to avoid the percentage fees if one was to fake a sale.

Back