• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DEC Infotower found in scrap bin

Defiant1Dave

This afternoon while working on an old house I'm fixing up, I found a DEC SCSI "Infotower" multidrive cabinet, populated with CD Rom drives..... in absolutely beautiful condition. Since my clunky server has a SCSI adapter, I hauled it home, cleaned off 10 years of dust, and hooked it up. After a little tweaking of my config sys and autoexec.bat........ viola! My server can read it!

My next problem is going to be how to get me IBM 5140 / Server set up using Interlnk to recognize the CD drives. Since my SCSI adapter bios allows me to set all of the drives as "fixed drives", it MIGHT be possible.

Has anybody else ever tried such a server set-up?

Last edited:
Well, if it's DEC, make sure that you know what flavor it is--and I don't mean just the narrow-vs-wide. A lot of old DEC gear is HVD and it isn't going to work with an LVD or SE controller. HVD controllers are pretty hard to come by, but converters do exist.

I am not as familiar with DEC as I am old IBM stuff. This machine does speak to my SCSI bus, so I may work with it in that capacity. Can you steer me toward any reference web-sites that might shed some light on the various DEC equipment?

Fortunately, there are more serious DEC collectors than perhaps any other genre. Try joining the Classic Computer mailing list. It's full of very knowledgeable people.

Update on the Info-tower:

I did a little research on it, and it's a purely SCSI, 50 pin unit. Nothing special or unusual. That being the case, I added a 2gig HDD to it and hooked it up to my server. I'm not sure if I actually NEED 2 more gb of HDD and 7 CD Rom drives..... but I've got 'em, just in case!

Back