• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What program to use for .dsk images on Mac

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
Title says it all. Which program do you use to extract or create floppies from *.dsk image files? I have tried Disk Copy but always seem to get an error code 54. So need help.

That should be the correct program, but if they're .dsk files for the Apple II, you can't mount them like normal floppies. Those are intended to be used with an emulator or to be written to a floppy using a program like ADTPro.

First, try opening Disk Copy, then opening the .dsk from through the File Open menu. If you don't have the appropriate extensions, Disk Copy may fail to open the file if it is double-clicked or dragged onto Disk Copy.

Additionally, if the .dsk file has lost its Resource Fork, it won't mount on a Macintosh using Classic (Pre OS X.) You'll have to mount it on an OS X machine. Hopefully you have a Mac with both OS X and OS 9 running in Classic mode. Mount the .dsk file under OS X, then use Disk Copy under OS 9 to convert the volume back into a .dsk file, then make sure you zip or stuff the file using a Classic application (like DropStuff) to preserve the Resource Fork. You can now copy it back to an older Macintosh.

There might be an easier way, but I've never had luck getting OS X to play nice with Resource Forks.

Ok the .dsk images are not for an Apple II. I know how to use ADTPro and as a matter of fact I use it a lot with my IIgs. What you said about the resource fork sounds right. I transfer the .sit images by way of my PC to a ZIP disk which is MAC formatted. Then use Stuffit to expand the file. What results is a .DSK file that disk copy can't seem to create a disk from. I am trying to use on an SE/30. And I know the program is compatible with system 6.x or later. I have system 7.01 installed on it right now. So as far as I know I'm doing it right.

As mentioned, DiskDup is a very handy program. Its also worth noting that there are two major verions of Apple's DiskCopy 4.2 and 6.x The later version has some problems with older disk images. Its always worth keeping both copies handy.

For macintosh .dsk images, i format floppies to hfs format, then send the image through adtpro to my iigs and write them to the floppies. Then simply load the disk in the older mac. A lot of the older mac games I've loaded to my IIsi were done in this fashion, until I started using appletalk.

Back