• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: 5.25" floppy drive external case

Nama

Veteran Member
I'm looking for an external enclosure (preferably metal) that I can mount a full hight 5.25" floppy drive into.

Thanks in advance

Phil

Last edited:
Why ?

Why ?

Also give more info - why ?

What are your plans ?

Sometimes others so knowlegeable on this site can offer other better options.

Just a thought !

Let us know the outcome so others can benefit from you projects - we build a "knowledge base " that way and that keeps the traffic less on the site and helps others get info faster.

Frank

Yes, maybe I could explain my needs a little better.
Firstly I have an Ohio Scientific C24P that I have been restoring. You can see the restoration details here:

http://web.mac.com/lord_philip/other_computers/OSI_C2-4P_Fix.html

I have also been laying out a schematic with the idea to build a replacement for the original OSI A14 floppy adaptor that will work with 'modern' 5.25" and 3.5" floppy drives (something other than the original MDI 51 drives) incorporating a data separator and motor control circuitry. You can see a thread about that here:

http://osiweb.org/osiforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54

Now I have got a Shugart SA400 drive which I want to use for this project as it has the full hight look that I want and is of the correct era, but it doesn't have an enclosure. at some point soon I hope to fix all the holes in the C24P case and send it off for sand blasting and powder coating, to restore the computer to it's former glory. I was thinking that if I could get an enclosure relatively soon, I could get that painted at the same time to match, this is why I'm looking for a metal case.

So what I'm after is a full hight metal enclosure, preferably with a built in power supply. If it doesn't come with a power supply built I can build or retrofit something.

I have searched VCF, but unfortunately I could not find any thread mentioning the selling of such an enclosure. Maybe I'm using the wrong search criteria.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers
Philip

Last edited:
I'm not sure there would be room to put the SA400 and a power supply inside a Disk ][ case. I could be wrong but that look quite small.

Heh. I was just about to offer Nama an empty Commodore 4040 or 8050 case. It clearly has room for two full-height drives plus some space for a power supply, but even stripped down to just the case it weighs at least 5 kg, perhaps even more. I suppose that is not what he is looking for, even if it can be had entirely for shipping costs.

Thanks for all the replies.
I believe the 1541 is a half height drive, so that probably won't work.
MikeS, that looks like it would work for sure, but I don't need the drive, and as you mentioned shipping would probably break the bank.
Anders, thanks for the offer of the Pet drive shells. Again, I think that's a good solution but shipping for such a large unit will probably be too expensive too. My wife would also kill me considering the lack of space in our apartment too. Thanks anyway.

So far the apple disk ][ is still looking like the best option although incorporating a power supply unit internally may be a problem. Still hoping someone steps forward with the perfect case for my needs

Cheers again.
Philip

...MikeS, that looks like it would work for sure, but I don't need the drive, and as you mentioned shipping would probably break the bank.
Well, duh! ;-) I just stuck it in there to show what it looks like. That's the enclosure from an old Techtran remote disk drive; they made an interesting line of serial-interfaced (RS-232, modem, etc.) disk drives, as well as some funky high-speed cassette drives.

Why not just make one out of a nice piece of wood? That's what I did many years ago; pretty straightforward if you've got a good saw, and it'd go well with your PET-in-a-suitcase ;-)

You should be able to find an appropriate 5 & 12V supply over in Akihabara; they're getting pretty small. Or just bring it out of the computer with a small cable.

Last edited:
I've made drive enclosures from wood (I have one made up of 1/4" thick red cedar, for example) as well as my favorite, acrylic. Working acrylic is easiest with power tools, but simple hand tools work well with wood. You can also build "hybrid" enclosures using wood sides and sheet-metal tops and bottoms, for example.

If you have a friend with access to a sheet-metal brake, you can work up an enclosure in no time at all.

One of these days, I'd like to do a PC enclosure of some exotic hardwood.

Back