• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Anyone need some NEC v20-8 processors?

The 8Mhz part is what was recommended for the 4.77Mhz machines of the day. You'll be fine with it in a PCjr.

I'm in for 3 (what the heck)... looks like there's 1 lot of 3 left.

I grabbed a lot as well. For $3.33 apiece it's hard to beat. I won't put them in any brand-name gear (I like to keep them as close to stock as possible), but they would make a nice upgrade to the two taiwanese no-name clones I have.

Received my chips today. They do look brand new, but I can't say I cared much for the shipping. They were put in a priority envelope, that was then folded around the 3 chips (stacked on top of each other), then shoved into a padded envelope. No static bag, no foam to protect the legs, frankly I am amazed they arrived in such good condition.

Still, a pretty good deal over all though, and do get exactly what he says you do.

Received my chips today. They do look brand new, but I can't say I cared much for the shipping. They were put in a priority envelope, that was then folded around the 3 chips (stacked on top of each other), then shoved into a padded envelope. No static bag, no foam to protect the legs, frankly I am amazed they arrived in such good condition.
Ditto... got mine today, same half-assed packing method... I'm wondering if they're even gonna work or if they'll be blown from the static electricity that was so bad the priority envelope was sticking to my arm like saran wrap. Looking at the sellers other listings, I hope they don't ship RAM that way...

Gonna test them out tonight. On visual inspection from the patina pattern on the legs, finish of the plastic, scratches and wipe marks on the underside, I suspect these are washes/re-screens and not actually new chips... though if so it's a really good job. As long as they work, I'm not going to be THAT picky about it.

Last edited:
... and on a good note, they all tested out just fine in the Tandy 1K EX I use for testing stuff like this. @trixter, I used your bench to make sure it reported as a v20 too... It's getting bad that way, where you can't trust what's silk-screened on 'em anymore.

... and on a good note, they all tested out just fine in the Tandy 1K EX I use for testing stuff like this. @trixter, I used your bench to make sure it reported as a v20 too... It's getting bad that way, where you can't trust what's silk-screened on 'em anymore.

Thanks for the verification. I, too, received mine today, using the same this-doesn't-inspire-confidence packing method. However, I must have been lucky; mine are quite clean and there are no bent pins. Overall, if all three of them work (not tested yet), I'd say it was a good deal overall.

I remember purchasing an NEC V30 in 1988 at the local Elek-Tek to put into my 6300, and I recall it only costing me $20 at the time. So with three V20s for $9 total, seems like a good deal.

I guess I'll 4th the horrible packaging :) I haven't had time to inspect/test mine yet. Hopefully will have time over the next few days... I'm thinking of dropping the seller a note - they really need to improve that packaging. Even if it does eliminate the free shipping option.

The packaging one my chips was slightly better. The chips were in a static bag, stacked/nestled on each other in the bag. That was in a Tyvek US postal service envelope, which was inside of a bubble mailer.

So not as good as a rigid box, but at least the static bag was there. Apparently they listen to complaints.

I'm actually planning on using 2 and having 1 for a spare. IMHO, at that cost, place an order and sell the extras off for $5 apiece, shipped :)

Back