• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The absolute best NY Cheesecake recipe...

Stone

10k Member
Since it's the season and cooking has dominated this forum of late I thought I would share this fantastic and not-so-difficult recipe. After you make this one I'm sure you'll all want to send me a nice, old PC as a thank-you. :) Just PM me for my mailing addy. :):)

I've been making this one for over 35 years -- it came directly from my cousin in Brooklyn.

STONE'S FAMOUS NEW YORK CHEESE CAKE

CRUST
2-CUPS GRAHAMCRACKER CRUMBS
3/4 STICK BUTTER
1-TBSP WATER
MIX AND SPREAD ON BOTTOM OF PAN

FILLING
MIX TOGETHER:
2 - LBS CREAM CHEESE (4-PACKAGES) SOFTENED
1 1/2 - CUPS SUGAR
3/4 - CUP MILK

THEN ADD AND MIX WELL:
1 - PT SOUR CREAM ( 1 LB.)
4 - EGGS
4 - TBSPS FLOUR or (2 CORNSTARCH & 2 FLOUR)
1 (AND MAYBE A LITTLE MORE) - TBSP VANILLA

GREASE PAN'S SIDES (9" SPRINGFORM) AND FILL WITH MIXTURE

BAKE AT 375 DEGREES EXACTLY ONE HOUR.

TURN OVEN OFF AFTER THE HOUR, OPEN DOOR SLIGHTLY
AND LEAVE CAKE IN EXACTLY 1/2 HOUR.

REMOVE CAKE AND LET COOL THOROUGHLY BEFORE REMOVING
SIDES. LET CAKE COOL SOME MORE.

REFRIGERATE FOR A FULL DAY BEFORE CUTTING AND SERVING.

Here's a coupla' my personal tips. I changed the original recipe from 4 tbsps of flour to 2 flour & 2 cornstarch a long time ago. I found that this gave the cheesecake a better texture and helped prevent the cake from developing a crack down the middle while it was cooling. Also, if you have any willpower at all -- wait for four or five days before cutting into this baby. It's well worth it.

enjoy...

It's probably a slight bit more diffuclt than the recipe makes it appear but all-in-all it's not that difficult, especiallially considering the end result:

CheeseCake.jpg

Curious - have you ever tried putting these in a water bath? I notice that the edges at the side of the pan are more done than the interior of the cake. Personally, I prefer my cheesecakes this way, but having also tried them in water baths, I can't deny that having the same creamy texture from start to end is nice as well.

I've not seen this type of recipe variation on cheesecakes before - think I'm going to have to try it!

Curious - have you ever tried putting these in a water bath? I notice that the edges at the side of the pan are more done than the interior of the cake. Personally, I prefer my cheesecakes this way, but having also tried them in water baths, I can't deny that having the same creamy texture from start to end is nice as well.

Water baths (bain-Marie) are usually used for my favorite--Italian-style crustless cheesecake. Somewhat lighter than New York style. Usually made with ricotta or marscapone cheese and never any flour, gelatine or cornstarch.

Has anyone tried a cheddar cheesecake? Emeril has a nice recipe for one. It goes well with fruit, such as apples or pears. Different idea, different taste, but still very good.

Water baths (bain-Marie) are usually used for my favorite--Italian-style crustless cheesecake. Somewhat lighter than New York style. Usually made with ricotta or marscapone cheese and never any flour, gelatine or cornstarch.

Has anyone tried a cheddar cheesecake? Emeril has a nice recipe for one. It goes well with fruit, such as apples or pears. Different idea, different taste, but still very good.

Educate me - the way that you compare the Italian Style to New York Style.... so NY Style is supposed to be more cooked around the edges? I've never been to NY, and the only "NY Style" cheesecake I've ever had came from the Publix Deli, so I'm not sure how authentic such things may be!

Italian style is crustless, uses marscapone or ricotta and no flour--it's lighter. New York style is heavier, with a lot more sugar and butterfat and usually has some sort of crust.

Like a lot of things, there are huge variations. WikiP has an article that will cause you to bleed from your eyes over the variations. (I'd never heard of Japanese cheesecake).

I've never been to NY, and the only "NY Style" cheesecake I've ever had came from the Publix Deli, so I'm not sure how authentic such things may be!
Stop beating around the bush! Make the damn thing and then you'll know firsthand how authentic your Deli's version really is. Believe me, you won't be dissappointed at all with what you make.

Trust me, I can already tell from the recipe that I'd hardly be disappointed.. more than likely, I'd grab a spoon and be through it in one sitting!

(I absolutely LOVE cheesecake and other rich foods - it's why I so rarely indulge in them!)

Back