• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows Sound System 2.0 floppies

CloakedAlien

Experienced Member
I've been searching for, and not been able to find anywhere, original diskettes (or images thereof ) of something called Windows Sound System 2.0.

These are driver diskettes for Windows and includes Sound Blaster emulation software for DOS.

I've gotten a few files of this installation saved but not the original floppies. I've been unable to get the SB-emulation in Dos working but it manages to install the Windows driver in 3.11.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/107181

The computer itself is an old 486 Laptop, a Zenith Z-NoteFlex (NTB005).

From what I've been able to gather the original floppies should be a set of 5, but I'm not sure.

Keywords for the drivers used are SNDSYS and WSSXLAT.

If anyone happens to know how to get the SB-emulation working in plain DOS without the original drivers that would be much appreciated =)

I can give you a temporary space (or you could do what I do - use MegaUpload and post the link here) - If these are floppy images, I'd love to add them to the collection.

I've got the archives from two users now, Thank you very much!

They seem to work although I had to put disk 1 on a physical floppy to make it work properly. I'd also love actual images to put online for others to use, or see it stored somewhere else for the community's sake =)

I sent them as zip files rather than images because my usb floppy drive was having trouble with disks 2 & 5. I had to copy #2 a few files at a time, but I finally got it. :) An image from the original will probably be crap, but I can make a new set from the zip file and image them, I guess. None are boot disks or copy protected.

One thing that I've seen a LOT with archiving 3.5" floppies with my IBM USB drive is read errors. It'll get halfway through imaging a disk and then crap out. Often, opening up the slipcover and rotating the floppy disk around, I'll find small specks of surface crap (dust or dirt or whatever) - a soft blow directed over the surface, and usually, the drive will read fine. Just make sure that you don't blow down at the diskette surface; hold the floppy away from you and blow softly so that you don't accidentally cover the bare disk with moisture)

Note that sometimes this will take multiple attempts of moving the floppy and sometimes finding multiple pieces of crap on the disk surface, but I've only not been able to image two diskettes that were partially readable (out of about 150 so far).

Indeed, I'd prefer proper floppy drives for archiving myself. USB drives doesn't seem to be very forgiving =/

I've written a few Atari floppies from my Windows 7 x64 machine using FloImg or whater it's called and that doesn't work with USB floppies at all ^^

Since I got the files now just sent me a PM and I can give you links, I'm unsure if the rules allows me to post them directly in the forum =)

me too?

me too?

oo! I have a toshiba 445cdt with and the same issue. Could I get these disk images from you fellas? ( pantsbutt gmail dot com)

Greetings everyone,

Could anyone please send me the Windows Sound System floppy images in either email or show me a link (ftp, mediafire, rapidshare etc)? I cannot find these anywhere on the net. Please help!
Thank You very much in advance.

I see other people are also looking for these floppies so it would be really great to upload these on a more or less public ftp...

The problem with putting these on a public server is that they are from Microsoft, a company that has never heard of the concept of abandonware. If you put them on a public server, sooner or later you will get a letter from a lawyer.

I see, I am not going to upload it anywhere then. Thanks for the answer!
Still, if a forum member would be as kind as to give me a copy that would be truly appreciated. EDIT: ...I got the images. Thanks, fellows!

Last edited:
I everyone. I stumbled on this forum searching for the WSS drivers. Can anyone that has them email them to me? Thanks.

Yes...these are just sound card drivers. I see no reason why Microsoft would care.

Hi all, i have a Toshiba t4700cs with a WSS could someone please email me a copy of the disks, would love to get some sound outa her! Thanks!
Sweet thanks a million!

Last edited:
Hi

Sorry to be a pain, does anyone still have these files? I would really appreciate them as I've spent hours trying to find them with no luck . I'm so close to getting my old laptop working properly :(

Edit - A big thank you for these, it solved my issues and my laptop now makes noise. Brilliant!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

If anyone still has copies of the WSS 2.0 disk images handy and can email them to me, I'd appreciate it. I'm working to restore a Toshiba T4800CT to its previous Windows 3.11 glory (with MSOffice 4.3! :) and I haven't had luck locating WSS drivers online.

Update: The disks worked perfectly, thanks for sending them over.

Last edited:
Back